Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Demeter Preamp!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bikeplate, Oct 24, 2002.

1. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi!

I just got my new Demeter Preamp today. Wow! I've played in a couple projects with his younger brother who continously nagged me to by his brother's gear. I loved me Eded WT-800 and thought I'd keep it forever. I finally sold it and went for the Demeter. I coupled it with a QSC 2402 and Epifani 2x12 8 ohm cab. It is super clear, loud, and full of natural tone. It sounds like my bass sounds when it's unplugged. Snappy, warm, punchy. I should have taken his advice 3 years ago! No knock on the Eden(great amp) but this thing kicks. Try one, you'll like it

Rob:D

2. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    i did and kept the wt800;)

3. Classic5

Classic5

Mar 31, 2002
    Australia
    Which Demeter do you mean??

4. bikeplate

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi!

The 201

Rob

5. Congrats Bike
    I have a very close setup. 201s, 2402, Bergantino HT212. Awesome rig. I sold all my Eden stuff too, just not for me, but real nice.

Have Fun!

6. Bikeplate,

YOU....YOU.....YOU have EXACTLY the gear that I dream of having!! I don't know if I should speak to you now or try to talk you into selling it all to me!!:D (Actually, I would go with the 4ohm cab)

What kind of bass do you have? What kind of music styles do you pump through there?

Do you have the Jensen transformer in it? It seems like they all do.

7. bikeplate

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi!

Thanx for the kind words. I have a bunch of basses including a Sadowsky, Pensa, Roscoe 5, Fodera Vic W., etc. The preamp does have the jensen DI. I'm loving it so far:D

Rob

8. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Congrats Man!!! Nice set up:)

9. Jerry,
    I just ordered an HT-112. :cool:
    Wife's gonna shoot me :eek:

10. Sorry I don't know the specs on your amp. So through an 8ohm Epifani 2x12, how many watts are you putting through that?

11. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Your going to love it Big String! Have you gotten used to the Demeter's purity now?

12. bikeplate

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi!

It's 475 watts. If it gets bridged, about 1400 watts? The spec sheet is filed away so it's a guess

Rob:confused:

13. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Hmn, an oft thought thought in my head (going Demeter from my current Eden)...how do the two compare, and what are the sound differences? I use a WT-300 as a preamp, and I dig it plenty, but I can't help but wonder about the grass on the other side of the fence.

14. bikeplate

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi!

No knock on the Eden, it's a great amp. It serviced me well for a few years. I just prefer this new preamp on the overall. Both amps are easy to set up and get a good sound from. That is the beauty of both. Eden stuff is great, too:)

Rob

15. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    hey, I'm not looking for an "eden is cool too" type response. I'm not super attached to it. Gimme the juice, what's better, what's worse, what's different, the dirt man, gimme the dirt!

16. bikeplate

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi!

My buddy has an Eden endorsement and I didn't want to piss him off!! I like the new setup for a couple reasons. The Eden amp has an "enhance" knob that dials in some cool tone. Problem is, as you turn it up, you lose punch. It's super obvious as you play in a room with a drummer. Second, I feel the Demeter has more tonal variety, a great DI, and nice warm tubeness. It's cool to have the extra power with the QSC, too. I hope this helps:D .

Rob

17. BP is right about the presence effect on the Eden. The Demeter has the presence too, but it works very smoothly with the rest of the controls. So far I keep mine pretty low. I'm also using the 60hz setting on the 201 more than the 120hz.

Jerry, I'm getting used to the Dem alright. I haven't really spun er' out with the Band yet. Very soon. I'm doing a lot of A/B with my Boogie set up side by side. Both different and both soooo sweet. I'm a lucky man! I will say the Dem has the evenness all the way down to my lowest note. The lows are so pure and clear, no mush but still tube like. So far I'm still diggin' the Mesa 400+'s higher register stuff a little more. I'm not completely weened to the "purity" yet, but I'm getting there. I must say I really love them both.

18. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    perfect description! found this too, when i had my old WT400. good sounding box, but didnt like how the enhance made me disappear.

great rig, btw! always good to see someone with great taste in gear... ;)