Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Design Opinions?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by count_funkula, Mar 19, 2005.

1. This is a custom bass I'm building for a customer. I ran out of abalone inlays so there is only 2 in the picture. This bass features my first attempt at neck binding. It came out great.

It's going to have a pickguard and Jazz style pickups. I'm thinking about doing a set neck if my customer approves. I brought the set neck option up in another thread and there seemed to be a lot of good reasons to go that route.

Please offer suggestions/comments.

2. Love the body! It's nice enough that I could've designed it! :rolleyes: :D There's just the right mix of traditional and modern to make it interesting and inviting. And that's where I'm at in my designs now anyway.

The headstock shape?...well...lets just say that IMO it hasn't got the flair the rest of the body has but it isn't a detraction or a distraction.

And off the top of my head for the color - black body/matching headstock with a 3 layer parchment pearl pickguard, and satin chrome hardware.

3. Thanks!

The headstock was actually the customers design. I was going to do a little more with it but that what he wanted.

And yes, he wants a black body with matching headstock! I wanted to do a tortoise shell or pearloid guard but the future owner is still deciding.

I'm kind of partial to the old styles too. Not enough binding and inlays these days. Maybe that will become my niche. :D

4. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    I agree with Hambone. That body is pretty sweet. It's the first single cut body design I have seen that I actually like. IMO, I think it needs to be cream white body, cream white headstock, no pg. It would really make that fingerboard stand out.

5. Cliff Bordwell

Cliff Bordwell Commercial User

Jan 6, 2004
    USA , Orlando , Florida
    Owner of CB BASSES
    2 thumbs up!

6. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Very cool- looks like it might be a tad neck-heavy with the body and neck coming together around 15 (hard to count the fret slots on my pc). Not real bad, but I like the shape! Kind of a cross between a Tele and a Paul. I like the binding as well- very classy. If it were mine, I think I'd go with ivory body/headstock and red tort p/g. Just my opinion and taste, though. Oh, and +1 on the satin chrome h/w... :D

7. Worshiper

Worshiper

Aug 13, 2004
    New York
    I like it. Great design. It that to be a bolt on?

8. Thanks.

The original plan was to make it a bolt-on but I'm going to suggest to the customer we do a set neck.

9. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    Looking great! Looks kind of like a Jazz body and a Tele body. Call it a Jazzcaster!

10. yes, that is a really nice body, as hambone said, it is a nice mix of traditional looks and modern looks, i like it!
    if i ever get a single cut, i want it to look like that!

11. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Tele+Jazz=Taz! :D

12. JSPguitars

JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
    I really like the body design also..........but feel the need to say that the headstock shape is hideous. As the builder of the instrument, did you offer alternative design options for the buyer to check out?? I just can't believe somebody would prefer that to something that meshed with the body design a little better......ppl are strange :smug:
    speaking of design......i think this bass' design is literally 'killer'
    :eyebrow:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=4713&item=7309092390&rd=1

13. PunkerTrav

PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    Looks great, CF.

14. Well......if I thought it was Hideous I probably would have said something. I don't think it's that bad. Kind of a simplified Les Paul look.

I don't think anyone looks at a Les Paul and says "man, I wish that headstock matched the body better".

I was going to keep the same basic square shape but add a little something to the end.

To each his own....... :D

Thanks for the completments everyone. He's comming to see it tonight. I hope he likes it!!

15. andvari7

andvari7

Aug 28, 2004
    Ennui
    Well, maybe Les Paul did. But, to stay on topic, wovewy, Count.

16. as a matter of fact, to me that headstock is very cool. It reminds me of the headstock on my old Spector NS2. Tres' cool

17. JSPguitars

JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
    well there ya go! beauty is in the eye of the beholder...

18. The customer came by and he loved it!

I'm pretty excited about this build. The bass player is a member of a Christian band that is touring the country right now called "Mercy Me". They're playing Radio City Music Hall in a couple of months so I'm going to try and get it finished before then.

This guy has a lot of contacts so I'm hoping for some good exposure.

Exciting stuff!! :hyper:

19. Pete skjold

Pete skjold

May 29, 2004
    Warsaw Ohio
    I guess I'll be seeing you around my shop for more supplies ;) Bass looks great ! Keep it up :bassist:

Pete

20. Yep, I'm going to need some of that black korina as soon as you get your hands on some. I also want to try those truss rods your using.

Thanks Pete!