1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New design to replace my Curbow bass

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Markpotato, Jul 22, 2012.

1. Markpotato

Markpotato

Jul 19, 2012
    Eureka Springs, AR
    Luthier, Sorrentino Guitars
    I'm working on this new design which will use all the hardware from my Cort Curbow bass except the pickup. I've always liked the shape of this bass but felt it could definitely use improvement, so I based a drawing on it and made all the adjustments I felt necessary.

This is going to be a fretless bass with cocobolo neck/fretboard and a one piece maple burl top (not pictured). Not sure what body wood to go with yet. Likely something heavy since I know the neck will be.

This is what my bass looks like:

CORT_curbow5_MOC.

And here's my new design:

NewBass.

Posted this on another forum and nobody liked it. I like it a lot. I think it's way better than the original. Of course it's all subjective and obviously the picture above is not as clean as the picture of an actual bass, it is photoshopped from a drawing, but it gets the general idea across. It is a different vibe, but It's more of what I wanted out of this bass.

Unfortunately I can't get started for a few more weeks (moving) but I can dream about it all day til I can.

2. Markpotato

Markpotato

Jul 19, 2012
    Eureka Springs, AR
    Here's a photo mock up with basically the woods I'm using:

NewBass3.

3. Nidan

Nidan

Oct 31, 2008
    Duluth , Ga
    nice lookin wood

4. That looks really nice. I love the curves. Really makes the bass feel approachable. I know it sounds weird but that's a good thing to have :p

5. Markpotato

Markpotato

Jul 19, 2012
    Eureka Springs, AR
    Thanks.

6. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Victoria, BC
    I really like it too, it seems like a nice change from that Curbow shape, which I also really like. The lower horn seems more substantial now, although I might be worried about breaking off that headstock tip, even though it fits the overall theme nicely. I'll be watching this one with interest too, as I love how your cocobolo guitar turned out. Have any plans to create an archtop like the original?

7. Markpotato

Markpotato

Jul 19, 2012
    Eureka Springs, AR
    Sure, as soon as I learn how to build an archtop. I have a basic idea but I want to do it right. Also I would love to make it with cocobolo, although I don't know if it's an ideal wood for acoustic purposes. If it's just for looks, sure, I can pull that off.

8. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Victoria, BC
    Oops, I meant carved top...

9. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    Why are you angling the neck pickup? Won't sound very good IMO.