1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

new design

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by g00eY, May 9, 2006.

1. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    i drew this in Spanish class today... i like it so i thought i'd share it with you guys. i'm not even done with my first build yet, so we'll see if this ever gets built.

scan0003.

i imagine a 34" scale 5 string with somewhere in the neighborhood of 28-30 frets, with a super deep lower horn cutaway. probably a handwound (by me) double coil, POSSIBLY triple coil (i have to research more about them) and piezos for pickups. knobs would be volume, piezo volume, bass, mid, treble, with single/double coil switch and piezo on off switch. in the pic you can see both the single cut and the double cut versions. at first i really liked the single, but the double is really growing on me. maybe someday when i have money i can build it.

2. NO hay mucho qué hacer en la clase de espanol?
    Jeje just kidding, nice design, I hope you´ll be able to finish your first and then move along to this one.

3. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    any more comments?

4. it looks nice,
    I can't decide whether i like the single or double cutaway version better

5. long time no see on my part...

this bass looks kickin... both the single and double cuts...

i need to get working on a bass... ive got wood ... (get your mind out of the gutter) but ive yet to use it....

I think im just going to make a copy... but yeah... your lookin good here... keep it up!

6. Me gusta :smug:

I think the upper bout should be a little less 'sharp'. The pointiness doesn't quite fit the style.

7. To be honest, im not so sure I agree...

but, i think it would look nice etheir way actually... so I mean, no biggie

8. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    yea now that i look at it i see where you're coming from. i don't even know where my original design went though so it'll be tough to edit it. the next time i draw this hopefully it'll be to scale.

my other project is kinda sucking right now. my neck pocket is pretty uneven and will need to be filled with wood putty or glue w/ sawdust. i think i've spent like 3 weeks alone on the neck pocket. i ended up hand chiseling it after my first idea went bad. next time i'll route the neck pocket with a router before i even start cutting out the body.

9. I was bored so i photoshoped it (mostly i just wanted to try out my new program

sorry about the bad quality

untitled.

10. woops i didnt realize about the top of the neck, you get the point