New digicam!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Tsal, Jul 3, 2005.

1. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    W00t. Finally had some extra cash to get me a new camera - I've been planning this since last summer, waiting for prices to drop a bit, and my mate at work sparked it all up again by getting a new camera for himself.

I had a few options, but finally decided to make a proper investment and got me one of these bad boys:

A Nikon D70 dSLR, nothing fancy but a proper SLR none the less: uses Nikkor objectives and flash units, full manual options et cetera.

Took it around the corner for a spin, takes decent pics too (I named the picture "Scouts" - anyone seen the Birds?)
  2. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Looks good to me!

Congrats! I need a camera, but between a car, and bass, and... you get the picture.
  3. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    The D70 is a fantastic camera, I've been using a couple of them for the past few years, waiting for the D2X to hit the streets (and now for them to get around to buying one for me..) Not the sharpest of the Digital Cameras, but still very good. Nice and quick, plenty of options, the battery lasts forever on a charge. Raw format works great if you've Photoshop CS2 or their Capture software ( I just use PS-CS2 )

Did you just get the body and are using lenses you already have or did you get one of the packages that come with a lens? The G-Series of lenses is fantastic, as long as you don't need them to be compatable with an older film camera (no aperture ring on lens, it's controlled by the camera). I'd say if there were ONE lens I would get for this camera it would be the 24-120mm VR lens. It runs around $500, has a GREAT range, aperture is OK at f3.3-5.6 or something (and I usually hate the variable aperture lenses) but for the price you get VIBRATION REDUCTION!!!! It's like being a beter photographer at the flip of a switch or being able to use slower shutter speeds. I've gotten away with 1/15th of a second with the lens zoomed out to 120mm!!! That's a 4stop increase from the "rule-of-thumb" and 2 stops from what I would normally feel comfortable with.

After that I'd look at more expensive lenses, I've got the 12-24mm f4 lens (just shy of $1k) that is just fantastic and almost too wide in many situations (not something I ever even considered saying untill I got beyond 16mm lenses, but 12mm is SWEET!!!)

I'm trying to get them to get me the 70-200mm f2.8 VR lens (around $1500)at the same time as the D2x (we have a difficult time buying anything that goes over $1k due to Medicaie reimbursement rules, it's complicated and I don't understand it...) but that lens looks SWEET!!!

Congrats on the new cam. It should treat you well for YEARS!!!
  4. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Thanks, the D70 does seem fast, both autofocus and shutter lag speeds are great!

I was actually looking at Olympus 7070 and 8080 prosumers first, after that noticed a 2nd hand 300d kit for 500€ at a local shop. However when I went out from the shop for twenty minutes to check if I have cash on my account, and by the time I had got there the 300d was gone!

But of course after I had got the taste for dSLR, I knew I wasn't going back, and the sales guy happened to have one 2nd hand D70 body around, so we negotiated a deal with a cheap Sigma 28-80 which was only 120€ more than the 300d kit and I went for it. I'm quite happy though, the Nikon is much sturdier and has nice proper feel to it, against 300d/350d's full plastic body.

The Sigma is not the best lense around, only 3.5-5.6 but should last me a few months for basic shooting - and feels much better than the Canon kit lens: the Canon was apparently designed for snapshotting so it didn't even have a proper focus wheel! The Nikon kit lense would had been better though.

I still need a proper bag, and after that I think my next lens is going to be a 50/1.8 for gig/portrait use - inexpensive and pretty fast and at dark club gigs you can usually get close to the stage anyways. After that, a flash and perhaps some inexpensive tele for outdoor shooting. Thanks for suggestion though, I'll keep that tele in mind.