Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Dingwall

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Geoff St. Germaine, Nov 15, 2004.

1. Well, I made a trade for this used Dingwall Prima 5. It's an older model. It has the Kahler saddles, Sperzel tuners, full Bartolini electronics and the older body style.

I traded with Devilman. He was great to deal with. This bass is also in almost perfect condition. There are a couple of small scratches, but considering it's age, Devilman must really baby his basses.

Anyway, I'll be taking it to rehearsal tonight. Then I'll probably take it by Sheldon's shop and see about upgrading the electronics to what he's using now.

Here are the mandatory pics.

2. Those are 2 very beautiful basses man.

3. Nice basses. Nothing beats a pair, of Dingwalls that is. ;)

4. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Talk about making a deal with the devil :D I don't he signs his posts -Satan anymore though, so you're probably safe. Looks nice! How's it play?

5. Sheldon D.

Sheldon D.

Oct 3, 2001
    Congrats Geoff. That's a pre-fire bass. Don't ask me why it sticks in my memory but I still remember building that one.

6. Geoff- Great looking pair....
    How much tone difference between the two right now and will upgrading the electronics make them sound...similar?

Sheldon -this bass is a "preburner"?....since all your after fire basses are called "afterburners"?
    frank

7. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Congrats, Geoff! Nice trade.

8. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    Gorgeous! If all goes well I should be getting a new Afterburner I sixer soon but for some reason they are WAY more expensive in Canada which I dont get.. the best deal I've found so far was Bass Cetral... :confused:

ONce again congrats on the beautiful find!

9. It plays great! I just got back from my rehearsal and the band loved it (I had played with my Fender with them before).

10. The tone difference is noticeable. I really like the tone that I got out of this thing tonight. I might leave it like this. At least for a while.

11. One thing that I noticed is that these basses take tuning down great. I never had tuned one down before, but the band I'm playing with tunes down a full step.

Tuned ADGCF, this bass still has almost all the articulation and definition as when it is tuned BEADG. My Fender sounds like a wet noodle tuned DGCF.

12. Geoff,

If it sounds good, I would leave it how it is. That will give you some more distinct tonal variation between your two Primas. I really like the sound of the new FD3s in my ABII, and had considered upgrading to them in my ABI, but the different pickups give two different sounds each with their own strengths. After considering that, I plan to leave those FD1s right where they are.

Again, those are two sweet axes. What wood is the top on the six string?

13. The top is Redwood Lace Burl.

14. rockindoc

rockindoc Daily Lama

Jan 26, 2002
    Bonham, Tx
    Very nice, Geoff! I like the body style.

15. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Must... resist... GAS... unh!

16. It is 9.51am in England and my day is already complete. Thanks Geoff for another picture of your fantastic redwood beast.

Oh by the way congrats on your new purchase

Regards

Matthew

17. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Very Nice Geoff, glad ya got to keep the Redwood as well :)

18. I should also mention that the Sperzel tuners on this thing are really slick. I've never had a chance to see them before, but I really like the feeling of precision that they have. To me they feel more sturdy and precise than the Gotohs I've used before.

19. CurbowPete

CurbowPete

Aug 28, 2004
    USA
    Agreed, Sperzels are GREAT!

~Pete

20. kingbrutis

kingbrutis

Aug 10, 2003
    Phoenix AZ
    I am really considering buying a dingwell( or bongo). I have read alot about them but have never had a chance to play one. I am leary about spending that much $$$$ for a bass I cant play. Does the feathering really increase speed? How does it sound with a pick? I play mostly very fast stuff with a pick and some slow praise music with my fingers. Do you always use thier strings and what do they cost? I am hopeing some one will talk me out of it. Please post or PM me. BTW, Geoff, I see the gsxr, do you ride alot. I just had to sell my baby, ZX12. It was a ripper. I still have my speed triple. Thanks Joe