Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Direction.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Woodchuck, Dec 13, 2002.

1. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I'm giving up ALL of my basses, and going with Jazz and P type basses. Ergonomically they feel better, and for the past 6 months, I've fallen in love with the "traditional" types of basses. Maybe I'm finally maturing as a bassist. Hell, I've only been playing for 6 years. Maybe I'm becoming weird in my old age, I'm only 36! Whatever the reasons are, this is my new direction.

In the grand scheme of things...........who cares?! :p

2. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Can I have them? :p

I say if you want the P and J basses, you like the sound, the feel, all that stuff, Go For It!!!

3. Yeah I could use a different bass if you don't want your old ones;)

4. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    been there done that;)

good luck in your search! my search included a stingray as well but to each his own. whatever you pick will sound good because of the man behind it!

5. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    so...does that include your warwicks?

:(

6. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Yep. I've been playing for 6 years, and for some reason, I'm just craving the J's and P's. Go fig.

7. Yay. A P and a J are all I have and all I want...except for a Stingray5...and a double bass...

8. MattFreemanRock

MattFreemanRock

Nov 30, 2002
    when you say "giving up" does that mean "giving away"? I'd also pay for shipping! hehe.

9. You could get a Streamer LX with P+J pickups. If you're still hung up on Warwicks that is.

Spector makes P+J basses too.

My point is that I think a PJ should be essential in everyone's arsenal, taking the place of a P most times(it's a P-bass with an extra jazz pickup ;)).

P.S. What about a G&L?

10. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    I like the ergonomics and the shape of the Jazz bodies.

11. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Didn't you even have some sort of sponsorship / endorsement deal with Warwick? So was it the studio experience with the SX J clone that did it? I have been fighting the little voices in my head that tell me I need to go and buy both a P and J (copy) - well you, Mr are not helping! ;)

12. BassistJ

BassistJ

Mar 20, 2001
    Hemet, CA USA
    Congrats, and as a recent covert to the world of sensible basses I welcome you. What brand of basses are you going with? I'd be stupid to assume Fender.

13. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    If I could get a Reggie Hamilton sig from Fender, but other than that, the usual suspects like Lull, Lakland, Atelier Z, Moon, Sadowsky, etc.

14. Stachio

Stachio Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2002
    Atlanta
    Woodchuck was preceded by Warwick ;)
    Joining the grown folks table ?

Sorry :D

15. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    :D :D

16. P bass + J bass = Fender Stu Hamm Urge II bass.:)

17. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

The Fender RB5 does an excellent J and a pretty good P. Seeing as how you played an SSI5, the less-chunky neck on the RB5 will be no problem for you.

I've been through phases before, but usually had regrets when making big changes. That's why now I like to keep a variety of basses in my arsenal. For example: Warwick, Modulus, and Fender basses are very different animals but I like 'em all.

18. rockbassist1087

rockbassist1087 Guest

Nov 29, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    I must agree....I always always into the precision and jazz basses.

19. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Bah, you'll be kicking yourself if you give up your current basses. Put them in a closet. You'll be back.

20. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    I understand this new direction. The pleasure I have with my brand new P is just incredible. Same thing with my brand new SR5.

I also sold my high-powered rig to get a B-100R, since I am more and more into vintage feel.

However, for many reasons, I guess I'll keep my Status for a while.