New documentary about Danny Gatton and the D.C. music scene

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Lobster11, Sep 5, 2020.

1. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    jerry, garp and LBS-bass like this.
  2. LBS-bass

LBS-bass

Nov 22, 2017
    I was lucky enough to see him live, not long before his death. The odd thing was that I grew up in that area but he and I were contemporaries in slightly different music scenes so I was always working when he was playing and never got to see him until I had moved away.

He came to my new hometown probably 1993 or so and I trekked out all by my lonely self to watch him play in this little blues joint. I was blown away; I knew I would be. I think he played a whole side of some jazzy Jeff Beck album or something, among many other things. It was probably stuff off of Blow by Blow 'cause it was really familiar to me. Dude could play anything. I don't think it was very long after that I heard he'd committed suicide. Terrible waste of a talented life.

Lobster11 likes this.
  3. Lagado

Lagado Inactive

Jan 6, 2020
    "The Humbler", he was an incredible musician, a guitarist friend introduced me to some of Danny's playing back in 1996, he's been a favorite of mine ever since. It's about time.

Lobster11, wraub and LBS-bass like this.
  4. Lobster11

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    I was fortunate enough to see him play live twice: with a trio in 1993, and a few years before that with a big band (incl. horn section). Both shows were mind-blowing. I highly recommend his "In Concert 9/9/93" CD, which was recorded within days of the show I saw, in which he really demonstrates his ability to switch genres and to improvise (with a super-hot band, of course).

5. LBS-bass

LBS-bass

Nov 22, 2017
    In death as in life, just too few can be bothered. One of the greatest talents to ever draw a breath, and it looks like nobody cares.

Well, I care, and I'll be checking out this film. I went to the website and saw a few names I knew from back in the day, along with the absence of a few poseurs I was hoping I wouldn't see. Should be good, especially for those who were in that area at the time.

Lobster11 likes this.
  6. consectaneus

consectaneus

Sep 23, 2016
    I too saw him in 1993 at a club in Sacramento CA. I look forward to the documentary.

Lobster11 and LBS-bass like this.
  7. garp

garp

Feb 7, 2009
    Connecticut USA
    Thanks very much for posting this. Several years ago, I had read Unfinished Business: The Life & Times of Danny Gatton (2003, Backbeat Publishing) and always thought that it would make a fascinating film documentary.

Wow...so much talent came out of that area which I only discovered after they were long gone...was listening to Eva Cassidy just last week.

Lobster11 likes this.
  8. Lobster11

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA

9. LBS-bass

LBS-bass

Nov 22, 2017
    I watched this tonight. It was... interesting.

Mostly it was a bunch of old guys wanking around very well on a stage doing music that either Danny Gatton or Roy Buchanan had played at some point, but not quite as well as they'd played it. Because, seriously, who could hold a candle to those guys?

There was some mad talent there. Guys I remember from back in the day, like Bruce Swaim, Robbie Magruder (anyone remember the Hanson Brothers?) John Preveti, Nils Lofgren, Billy Hancock and Tommy Lepson. Oh, and I can't forget Tom Principato, who stole my freaking drummer once upon a time. Long story.

This really reminded me of the Laurel Canyon movie, except it had all the old guys in it instead of the young guys. And no women.

What was missing? Danny freaking Gatton and Roy Buchanan. Sorry, but as much as I enjoyed seeing John and Robbie play together (and those guys are/were brilliant players), I wanted to see more of what inspired this movie to begin with. I wanted my San Francisco husband to gain an appreciation for the DC scene I came up in, and we didn't get there, because that footage wasn't included. When it was over I felt like I had to Google up some footage of Danny playing so he would understand what the fuss was all about.

It was interesting, and the music was really good, but it sure didn't give me what i wanted from a DC retrospective. Worth watching though, even with the absence of people like Ron Holloway, Rico Petruccelli, Bill Holloman and John Jennings, who I know was gone long before this was made. Robbie and Billy are now also gone, RIP. And I get that it can't be everything to everyone, but I wanted a little more than maybe ten minutes of clips from the 8X10 and Gallagher's with Danny and Roy, and the rest of it just being some sort of DC tribute show. I'm a little disappointed, but it was nice to see all those guys were still playing, even if at least two of them on that stage are now gone.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2020
    Lobster11 likes this.
  10. Sid Fang

Sid Fang Reformed Fusion Player Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2008
    Gatton would have been 75 years old last week. Heard about him back in the early 80s because a guitarist buddy of mine had a sister in the DC folk scene at the time, who sent him Gatton tapes. That made me aware enough to have jumped at the chance to see him when I was later visiting DC, in some cavernous brick place off Dupont Circle whose name I can't recall (but which will probably mean something to LBS-bass). He was already doing his now-famous slide solo with the full bottle of beer, sloshing all over his tele, followed by wiping it off and continuing the solo playing through the towel draped over the guitar neck. Amazing chops and great rock'n'roll attitude, even if he didn't seem particularly engaged with the audience.

Lobster11 and LBS-bass like this.
  11. LBS-bass

LBS-bass

Nov 22, 2017
    OMG I remember that club on Dupont Circle very well, I played there a few times with this rockabilly band I was in back in the mid 80's but the name escapes me. I was contacted a few years ago by someone who got my name somehow and she was the daughter of the owner of that place and was looking for info about it, but I didn't really have much to share with her. I am racking my brains to remember the name of that place and I know it will come to me eventually.

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 16, 2021