Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New dog teaches old dog

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Jeff Bollbach, Mar 31, 2003.

1. Jeff Bollbach

Jeff Bollbach Jeff Bollbach Luthier, Inc.

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    Never made a bee sting before-here's my first. Nick Lloyd walked me through it.

2. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    And they said it could not be done. :)

Nice work, Jeff.

3. Mmmm - very nice! The only way that I would be able to do something like that would be with PhotoShop... :eek:

- Wil

4. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Very clean, Jefe Jeff. Nice pic, too.

5. tsolo

tsolo

Aug 24, 2002
    Ft. Worth
    Nice work. I want one...

6. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Woof woof woof... pant, pant... woof woof woof woooof woof.... pant, pant.... woof woof bow wow woof woof? Woof wooooof:D woof woof woof woof... pant, pant.... woof woof!

ps- bow wow... grrrrr

7. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

Those who say hide glue isn't as potent as other types of glue obviously haven't read this post.

8. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    BAD NICK! BAD! GET OFFA JEFF'S LEG, OR DO I HAVE TO ROLL UP A NEWSPAPER!?

9. Jeff Bollbach

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    Alo-haha

10. Jeff Bollbach

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    Bee sting refers to the black only protrusion from the miter of the purfle. There are different styles in terms of the amount of curve and the angle of the dangle. I'm not sure where mine falls but I didn't have much reference or experience in the matter-it came out OK as far as I'm concerned.
    It's true the vast majority of fiddles have squared corners. I've seen allotta old basses with rounded ones and I like the look. I guess it is a style thing. I am sure the judges at the ISB competition will hate it.
    Yeah, this is Bubba's bass.

11. Only if they use judges from the VSA.:D Bubba look pretty good to me!

(VSA = Violin Society of America)

12. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    VSA=Dorks. (Well, they did give me a little money for school, some years ago. Not all of them are dorks, just the lot.)

That bee sting came out phat, dude. Can't hardly tell you used the Foredom Tool and Tom Croen's purfling jig to cut the channel. (Oh, sh*t, I wasn't supposed to mention that.)

That's some fine figure, too. Is it bigleaf from....?

13. Just to be fair, we should also say that the bee sting wasn't done with the purfling jig. I'm sure Jeff did that the old fashioned way - with a knife.

14. Damon Rondeau

Damon Rondeau Journeyman Clam Artist Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2002
    Winnipeg, baby
    I know it sure as hell stings when the black only protrusion from the miter of my purfle acts up.

That's mighty nice work with the knife, tho. Can I call when my purfle needs cutting out? I don't think I'd even need whiskey with knife work that clean.