Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Dominique di Piazza video clip.

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by DaveBeny, Sep 18, 2005.

1. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
  2. bit of a slow download....waiting for it right now with baited breath!

[edit] just got a cursory view of it. !!!!! wow!!!!! [/edit]

3. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    thank you David! I'm going to d'load it when I get back into town. (out-of-town ''dial-up' dilema)

4. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!! :hyper:

..............wow, glad I don't have dialup. This one takes forever.

5. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    back in ATL and Andy's post reminded me that I need to check this out...

6. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Ok, just watched the video. I'm gonna get flamed but here it goes:

This video is a perfect example of why it's important to move forward. That was musically terrible. It was slightly more exciting than elevator music. The tunes were terrible and the playing from the guitar player and the piano player couldn't have been more sterotypical. They had all the "I can play jazz" lines down, that's for sure. Other than that, no substance. I think that it's very important for us as listeners, especailly since we play instruments, to start hearing through the good playing. We need to promote more artistic endeavors and less of the "look what I can do" music that usually has nothing more to offer than that.

Check these folks out:
    Myra Melford
    Cuong Vu
    Dave Douglas
    Henry Threadgill
    Chris Speed
    Uri Caine

There are many more but there's a start. I consider these people to be innovators. They're people who are making beautiful music without having any concern for the standard. They are the ones who are moving music in a forward direction. True artists.

7. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I know I sound like the negative guy right now, but I used to like Dominique's tone much more than I do in the video.

8. michele

michele Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2004
    Italy
    After seeing your post about Chris Wood's new CB bass and after reading this one I found myself thinking twice ... you have good listening habits, my friend! ;)

9. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    Why did I think of Domino's Pizza when I saw the words "Dominique di Piazza"? :rollno:

10. reitedasc

reitedasc

Jun 23, 2005
    Norway
    I liked it! Is the file on my disc now, or do i have to watch it trough the net?

11. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    bump n' subscribe....need to listen to it when I get home....

12. I like Dipiazza a lot, and I have to admit I found that a little boring.
    +1 on Uri Caine (especially Bedrock)
    and Dave Douglas. My roommate got to record him this summer.

13. Do you mean to ask if it's streamed or if the file you downloaded actually contains the movie? It's the latter; if you downloaded it then you can watch it anytime.

14. I hear what you are saying... I feel that way also about Weckl's music. However.... I can listen to El Negro any time, in any situation and just love it!

15. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I hear ya Ken. El Negro is such a monster.

16. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    It's Meddy Gerville's band - he is some sort of smooth jazz/pop singer-pianist. However, I would listen to anything if it had Dominique and Horacio on!

Very thoughtful coments Emjazz. I am familiar with Dave Douglas and to a lesser extent, Uri Caine. The other names you listed aren't so well-known over here - I will be sure to check them out.

17. My god man.. You have saved me! Nice post, great bands, thats exactly the kind of music I've been searching for quite some time now. Great Post!!!! :bassist:

18. gruuv

gruuv

Jan 23, 2004
    Tennessee
    Big +1 on that! :bassist:

19. Dave Hill

Dave Hill Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    New jazz seems to about as creative as hip hop/rap music.
    Chord based changes, cliche solos. Yawn.