1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New Doobie Brothers CD - Bob Glaub on bass

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by KJung, Oct 31, 2010.

1. 'World Gone Crazy'.

I was hesitant to purchase this. As much as I always dug that band back in the day, I try not to 'look back' quite this much! However, this CD is quite good, very fresh sounding, and (here's the reason for the thread)... Bob Glaub on all cuts but one.

It's the older 'guitar oriented' band, but McDonald is a guest on one cut (nice).

Very good, especially if you like old school, grooving, fat bass!

2. VJP

VJP Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2001
    NJ
    Cool, might have to check that out. Was just listening to Best of Vol. 2.... Here to love you, What a Fool Believes, Real Love, Minute by Minute. Pop songwriting at it's best and McDonald's strongest stuff as a writer and singer.

3. Great stuff. This CD is back to more of the original version of the band... with the founding guitarist (can't remember his name.. the China Grove guy!), and also the mutli-instrumentalist that drove the 'Black Water' era of the band. Nice stuff to my ear.

4. Thunderthumbs73

Thunderthumbs73

May 5, 2008
    I consider the new CD well-recommended, and Bob is always great! iTunes tonight for me. Thanks!

5. Goodlawdy

Goodlawdy

Mar 27, 2008
    Just heard that John Cowan (Newgrass Revival John Cowan band) will be filling in on bass for the next few tour dates. I'd love to catch one of these shows. Here's what his page says:

"HITTIN’ THE ROAD WITH THE DOOBIE BROTHERS!
    I have made some changes to my upcoming tour plans to help out some old friends, the Doobie Brothers. Skylark, the band’s bass player, is recuperating and I will be filling in until Skylark is ready to return to the stage. None of this would have been possible without the amazing support of the rest of the Cow band and the promoters who had scheduled dates for the JCB this spring. It goes without saying that I am extremely grateful for their kindness and generous spirit. I encourage you to catch one of the upcoming shows with the Doobie Brothers or the Cow band. All the dates will be listed on the web site shortly!"

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    tom johnston. personally, i'm way more of a tom fan than a michael fan. i liked it keeps you running and takin' it to the streets. that's about it for me and michael mcdonald.

7. There is quite a divide between those two era's of that band. I dig 'em both.

8. EdHunter

EdHunter

Jan 14, 2010
    Dublin
    I saw the Doobies support ZZ Top a couple of weeks ago, and they played some stuff from the new album, and to someone who has only ever had the Doobies on as background music, sounded pretty awesome. Anyone know if it was Glaub playing then as well, or is he only on the album, 'cus there were some nice little grooves going on?