Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Double Bass Player that NEEDS HELP!!!!!

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Mattlach, Sep 21, 2004.

1. Mattlach

Mattlach

Sep 21, 2004
    OK so I have just started playing double bass and I'm still very new at it. i played electric bass for 5 years and now i play double bass in a rockabilly band, i do a lot of aggressive slap. as i said I'm new at this so this is a new thing for me and I'm still fresh with learning about different brands and things of that nature. however i have questions for those of you that know about these things already...

1) i am looking for a low tension string that is affordable, seeing as how i have just started and due to my aggressive slapping i am not as concerned with tone as i am with over all performance. i was wondering if any one had information on Labella Supernils, and nylon strings all together. I herd they are easy on the fingers, low tension and good for slap. also I herd about eurosonic ultralight, as with labella I herd they are superb for slap and easy on the fingers.

2) I slap using my first 3 fingers. More ore less I give the strings a good yank for the slap effect. However the pads on my fingers are getting ripped to apart. Is this normal and once they are condition for that style play it will be better, or am I doing something wrong?

any other information on slap and affordable strings for slap is appreciated. thank you for any information

:help:

2. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    Read the Newbie links post and search the archives!

3. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    What kind of strings do you have now? Has you bass been properly setup by a qualified luthier? Setup can make a *huge* difference in playability.
    You should try eurosonic ultralights, available from brent norton at
    http://www.nortoncustoms.com/bass_accessories.htm

Brent is a real nice guy...

4. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    Hey Chef.
    Didn't hear from you since the email I sent you as an answer to your query on strings.
    Did it help at all?