New DP Custom 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fretless5, Dec 18, 2002.

1. Well worth the wait, my new DP Custom arrived today.

Beautiful woods, extremely well balanced feel. Wonderful tone and playability (real word?). The neck is thin and fast. Even with the supplied flats on it, lots of harmonic ring and sustain (she will be getting Elixers soon). No dead spots, and all I did was tweek the action down a bit more.

All in all, a really nice axe for the $$. Lighter and better sounding than my Carvin LB75 (and much better looking). I haven't yet had a chance to run it thru my full rig, but even thru the practice set-up, it sounds warm and ready to rip.

Cocobolo sandwiched over Mahogony
    35" scale ebony 'board
    maple/bubinga/maple neck
    Matching headstock
    Angled tuners
    Bart Quad PUPS w/ Bart PA
  2. head

and sorry for the crappy pix, the camera tends to add yellow (the background is a white door)
  3. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL

very classy! Remotely Warwickian/Alembic-y...
    the bubinga in the neck looks really dark, is that just the lighting?

Glad you like it!
  4. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    say, what's the reason behind the nevus-like cavity covers? I haven't seen anyone take that approach before.

Just curious. Bass looks great! Especially like the headstock. It can be hard to get the HS shape right, I find. Gots to fit the motif with the rest of the bass.
  5. What do the switches do?

That's a really good looking bass!
  6. bbob24

May 23, 2002
    Philadelphia, Pa
    Hey, Beautiful bass.....that means that I'm 1 bass closer to getting mine.

Enjoy it!!
  7. RedV

Mar 19, 2002
    Eustis, FL
    Superb. Hope you enjoy it.

8. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Very nice bass. Congrats!
  9. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Very nice, indeed. One of the best Dave Pushics I've seen.
  10. Very classy. Great headstock.
  11. SMG

SMG Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    metro Detroit
    I have knocked Dave Pushic in the past based on a couple of older basses of his that are in my collection. Looking at yours, I would say that in the past couple of years his craftsmanship has improved a ton. That is a really nice looking bass.

Thumbs up to both you and Dave on a nice instrument.

12. Thanks all for the comps. I am really happy with this little beauty. After a few hours of playing, I am already pretty into the 35" scale- not as much of a "stretch" as I thought it might be (where's that bad pun thread?).

The controls are (pots top to bottom) volume, PUP blend, treble, mid, bass. The switches are coil splitters and phase. The active tone of the Bart Pre-amp is sweet, but I am liking the pasive sound just as well. Overall much sweeter and fuller sounding than the ol' Carvin (DUH!).

And the best part is... not one bit of regret.

Good job Dave, and thanks again.
  13. Oh yeah, forgot:
    The middle stripe in the neck is Wenge, not Bubinga. I was back and forth between the two and finally settled on the Wenge.
  14. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    that looks really nice. how's the details and finish? some folks have complained about finishing issues in the past with dp's.
  15. The finish is very good. No dull spots or weird colorations.
    As far as the gluing and such, there are no bad joints anywhere- nothing sloppy at all. The routing for the PUPS is tight and straight. The heel where the neck joins the body is very smooth and well fit. The neck itself is thin (depth-wise), almost reminds me of an old Hagstrom. The only thing that will really take a little getting used to is that there aer position side dots for every fret, not just the normal 3, 5, 7, etc. O well, just means I have to pay a little more attention until I get used to them. Not a very big problem to be sure.

I think this will be fun.
  16. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    that's cool, sounds like you got a real gem there.
  17. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Congrats on the new bass. It's neat to think that some of my dough might have gone to the creation of that.
  18. You... you.... you enabler you!:D
  19. hey fretless5, Looks Awesome man!

welcome to the DP club :)