1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New DR Hi-Beams Flatwounds!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by sunbeast, Oct 4, 2006.

1. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    After a long wait for DR to make some flatwounds, they apparently have!
    I was looking to try some new strings for my G&L2500 from my favorite string seller (mymusicstuff on Ebay), when I came across "DR Hi-Beams Flatwound Strings". I emailed him and he wrote :
    "These are brand new, DR just started shipping, I believe I received one the first shipments, The 5 string sets have not been released yet."

I ordered some right away, despite the fact they don't have 5 string sets yet- I will try them on another bass first!

I've been digging the steel Lo-Riders and nickel Sunbeams for awhile now and wondered why DR never released a flatwound bass string (they have made flatwound guitar strings for awhile). I can't wait!:hyper:

Karl Zickrick

2. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Interesting - give me a heads up of how they are when you get em :)

3. Lorenzini

Lorenzini Supporting Member

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Wow I totally dig this idea.

4. saxnbass

saxnbass

Mar 9, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    I emailed them and asked them about flatwounds about a year ago and said that it's a great idea and they will start woking on them soon. I guess they are done now. Yay.

5. jeskew

jeskew

Sep 11, 2006
    austin
    I just picked up a pair at the bass emporium yesterday. I haven't put them on yet, I'm waiting for my new pups, but I looked at them in the packaging and they feel awesome (my first set of flatwounds).

6. saxnbass

saxnbass

Mar 9, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    Why are they not up on the DR website?

7. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I am very interested in this... Hi-Beams are becoming my favorite string!

8. sunbeast

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Yeah, I looked on the website when I first ran across the listing for the flatwounds- but they aren't listed anywhere. You can clearly see in the package in the auction that they are "Hi-Beams Flatwounds" though. You all should check out Ebay username "MyMusicStuff" for them, he is also a great place to find just about all the good bass strings for good prices and super-fast shipping (not expensive shipping).

Karl Zickrick

9. The Craw

The Craw

Jul 31, 2006
    I already said this in another thread, but they were just introducing these at Summer NAMM in July. They didn't even have packaging yet, just a few in separate string envelopes to show to retailers. Since it's just getting going, I'm not surprised they haven't updated their online catalog yet.

10. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    If they're made as flatwound-style Hi-beams, I can see them becoming competitors for D'addario Chromes. I'l definitely have to try these out sometime.

OT, but I've never heard of these before. These have the same differences that round and flat bass strings have, I'm guessing? Warm, mellow-yet-clear guitar tone? Sounds fantastic!

11. saxnbass

saxnbass

Mar 9, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    The guitar flats are called "Legends" as far as I remember. I'm gonna have to try out these flats when I get something I want flats on. Right now I'm using flatwound Optima Golds (24K gold plated) on my Warwick.

12. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Lakewood, OH
    +1

im a big d'addario fan. this might be the turning point.

13. Ha, might be my first set of flats in over 30 years!( I've been thinking I should try a set and NOT rely on my impressions of them as a kid playing 60-70s pshyc rock. ).

14. sunbeast

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Oh yeah, he had a couple of sets left, in case you guys haven't already bought them!
    Karl Zickrick

15. sunbeast

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    I recieved the strings on Thursday, hopefully I will get around to installing them tonight. A review may be a while off though as I plan to change some of the electronics on the bass first.
    I'm excited!
    Karl Zickrick

16. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    Can't wait to hear your thoughts!

17. Thurisarz

Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    Sweden
    I e-mailed DR about this but haven't got an answer yet. I've been waiting for them to start makeing flats

18. jeskew

jeskew

Sep 11, 2006
    austin
    I put my DR flats on last week. I'm pretty new to playing (only for a month or so) but these strings feel and sound great. Nice mellow sound on my Yamaha BB200 w/ quarter pounds. These are light years beyond my previous roundwounds (came with the bass, no idea what brand they were).

19. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

Time to switch the strings on my fretless.

20. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Great! I have Labella's on my MIM right now, but I've always loved DR's. www.juststrings.com has them and I can usually get them within a day so I may just have to place an order :)

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 9, 2021