1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

"New" Dragonetti Concerto

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by John Goldsby, Oct 30, 2010.

1. John Goldsby

John Goldsby Supporting Member

Mar 4, 2003
    Bassist @ WDR Big Band Cologne, Columnist — BassMagazine.com, Conservatorium Maastricht, NL
    Check out this video! Be sure to check out Part II of the video also . . .

I guess this piece has been filed away at the British Museum for the past 160 years.

John Feeney plays the modern world premiere of Dragonetti's concerto in D with the American Classical Orchestra, Thomas Crawford conductor. The performance was October 4, 2010 at NYC's Ethical Culture Hall. This is a period orchestra, A= 430. Mr. Feeney uses unwound G&D and wound A&C- the top 3 strings made by Damian Dlugolecki. John plays a 1750 Michelangelo Bergonzi and a 19th century swan head Pfretschner.

2. Joshua

Joshua WJWJr Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Aug 23, 2000
    Connecticut
    Very cool!

3. Classickbass

Classickbass

Aug 15, 2010
    Kingston, TN
    This is a nice performance. It said in the description, Period Orchestra, A=430. When did it become A=435? Or A=440? My piano is a 1912 Conover and it is tuned A=435, so this is all very interesting to me.

4. Phil Rowan

Phil Rowan Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2005
    Brooklyn, NY
    Nice.. I meant to post this video. I really wanna see this orchestra sometime.. everyone using gut strings.. I can only imagine the sound/colors.

ps - Feeney is a beast! Holy cow.. If you can, I highly recommend playing for him. Had a lesson w/ him back in the spring and he's just a great cat.

5. Troy Robey

Troy Robey

Jun 29, 2008
    Denver, CO
    This deserves a bump...

How cool that this was dug up after having been filed away so long. This is great.

Man, Feeney can play the sh#& out of those gut strings! (bad pun intended)

Definately make sure to listen to part 2!

6. Phil Rowan

Phil Rowan Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2005
    Brooklyn, NY
  7. Pcocobass

Pcocobass

Jun 16, 2005
    New York