New driver: solder or clips?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ekulati, Sep 20, 2016.

1. Ekulati

Ekulati Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2016
    Richmond, VA
    Hi gang, Not much of a DIY-er, but I am putting a new Eminence driver in an old extra SWR cab I have. The existing driver (4 ohm, when the cab was originally 8, which I need it to be) has clips, so I figured no problem.

But there is a problem: the Eminence has two different size clips, the hot being slightly smaller than the ground. (Existing wires have same size.)

So should I: a) get one larger clip and replace the one on the hot wire or b) cut off both clips and just use solder? (Or get a new hot clip and add solder to both anyway...)

All expert thoughts appreciated...

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    I think solder is a waste of time. The clips work fine as long as they're not all worn out. I'd go clips.

3. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    Do not solder, just get the right size connector. Most are the same (.187") rare that they are different. Have you measured them?

Old Garage-Bander likes this.
  4. Ekulati

Jan 2, 2016
    Richmond, VA
    Yes, the tabs on the new Eminence are DEFINITELY different size, maybe only a mm or two but it's visually obvious.

5. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    There are standard sizes, measure and compare. The most common are .250" and .187"

Old Garage-Bander likes this.
  6. Ekulati

Jan 2, 2016
    Richmond, VA
    Yup, that's it. The ground tab is .187 and the hot is .25.

So I guess I'll need to get the .25 clip, and solder onto the wire. So, I'm soldering anyway...oh well.

7. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    The reason for avoiding soldering directly to the tab is to avoid damaging the compression connection that the tinsel wire makes with the tab. Is this a stock off the shelf Eminence speaker or is this some OEM type?

Also, you don't need to solder the connectors to the wire, a proper crimp tool is a better way to do this, and how ALL of the manufacturers assemble their cables.

Munjibunga and BasturdBlaster like this.
  8. Ekulati

Jan 2, 2016
    Richmond, VA
    Ah good, just crimp it to the wire.

This is a stock Eminence driver, Legend BP1525. I guess they just put different size tabs on hot vs. ground.

Gracias, Caballo...PS: GB support: are you in AZ? Oh wait, I see you're in Davis...

9. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Very interesting, the docs I have (pretty early open stock product) show .187 for both tabs. I wonder if they were changed in the MI line to eliminate the possibility of miswiring? All my service terminal boards are .187 for both tabs as well.

Note that there are 2 thicknesses of tabs, the speaker products use the thinner tab, so you may need to squeeze the female connector down a bit if you have the thicker females. The thinner ones are somewhat specific to the speaker industry.

10. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    If the cab has a Neutrik speakon with fastons (those spade connectors), this is the size: NLFASTON - Neutrik (0.187" x 0.02").

Eminence has changed their spade connectors on some speakers, see below. For Eminence OEM, I've used TE Connectivity 0.205" (Eminence Speaker Components).

eminence spade.JPG

11. Ekulati

Jan 2, 2016
    Richmond, VA
    LOL, well it's an old SWR box from probably 90s or early 00s, so no speakons! But still in good shape, the tweeter's fine, new Eminence will be perfect for my needs (extra cab off of my Markbass Jeff Berlin, when I need more volume...)

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 25, 2021