Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New drivers for Ampeg B-25 - Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by CFHostile, Sep 2, 2005.

1. CFHostile

CFHostile

Jun 20, 2005
    I have an 1968 Ampeg B-25B cabinet with the original 15" drivers (2). There is a tear in one of the surrounds, and I tried the tissue+elmer's glue mend and it still buzzes. They're old as hell anyways and I want to drive my B-25 head into it pretty hard, so I want to put some new speakers in it that can take the beating. The dimensions of the box are 13"x29"x40", giving it a total of 8.726 cubic feet. The port on it is 4.25", with 2.125" for each driver (the two drivers are seperated inside by plywood and insulation, and the port has half the opening over each chamber). The whole thing is padded pretty thick inside as well. What speakers ought I look into buying? I need them to be 8ohms so I can wire them in series for 16ohms, which the B-25 head main speaker out requires. Like I said, I want to get some good thick overdriven tones from my head, which only has a pair of 6550's (~55watts). You guys offer great advice so I'd love to hear whatever recommendations you may have.

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Are those the inside dimensions or the outside dimensions?

You need to be concerned with the internal volume of the cabinet which (assuming 3/4 in. plywood and a 1 in. baffle setback) would be 10.5 x 27.5 x 38.5 or about 6.4 cu. ft. not deducting anything for the volume that the speakers themselves occupy)).

EV designed some dandy cabinets (TL606) for the EVM15 and they're (ironically) 3.2 cu. ft. internally.

Take a look at www.avatarspeakers.com. Dave has the best prices on brand new Eminence speakers and has some (or did have some) Celestions that might be interesting.

You could always get your original speakers reconed too.

3. CFHostile

CFHostile

Jun 20, 2005
    Those are the outside dimensions. Is EVM15 the model # of the speaker you suggested? I didn't see it on the avatar speaker site. Also, do you think a simple recone would be able to handle everything? Since the head is rated at ~55 watts, the speakers are probably rated at about 30 each. I can't help but think that I could easily overpower them, despite the head's conservative power rating.

4. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Oops... I jumped a thought without leaving a written trail.

EVMs came in two types the EVM 15L and the EVM 15B...the 15L has better high end response.

Avatar doesn't sell EVs...just Eminence and some Celestions. Eminence is the largest mfr. of loudspeakers in the world and everyone from Ampeg to Acme to Gallien-Krueger to ??? uses their drivers. Avatar uses off the shelf speakers, others use OEM designs..there has to be an Eminence that would work well...

There have been significant advancements in the ability of the materials that make up a voice coil (magnet wire, coil form materials, adhesives) since the time the original (I presume CTS) speaker were made. A recone kit would consequently have a higher power rating (in most cases).

You can find a reconer in your area by going to www.recone.com