1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New drivers for PF210he

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DRafalske, Oct 14, 2013.

1. DRafalske

DRafalske

Nov 6, 2008
    Hebron, KY
    Hi guys. Simple enough, I'd like to make my PF210HE a 4ohm cab.
    I was looking at Eminence Delta 10A's. Would those work? Any other recommendations?

Thanks y'all.

2. For what you would spend in money/time, I would suggest you just get a second 210.

3. DRafalske

DRafalske

Nov 6, 2008
    Hebron, KY
    I don't need, or want to haul, a second cab. And $150 worth of speakers is a lot less than $400 for a second cab. Spare time I have.
    And I'm not looking for a volume increase. I'm hoping the extra headroom will make life easier for my PF500, which is already in the shop for a warranty repair. Wouldn't mind being able to hook my SVT up to it too.

4. You wont really get much (any) head room as your PF-500 can already push an 8 Ohm 210 close to its mechanical limits. If you want real head room, the second cab will get you there.

5. DRafalske

DRafalske

Nov 6, 2008
    Hebron, KY
    Thanks for the responses. Maybe my logic is flawed. The amp/cab ARE plenty loud but I was hoping that if the cab was 4ohm, I wouldn't have to turn the amp up as far to get the volume. We're all aware people are having issues when pushing their PF500's - I'm one of them. The head is currently in the shop for faulting out anytime it's past halfway up. Right now it's under warranty but the warranty period is almost up. I really dig the tone and portability. I guess I just hoping to enhance the dependability (and my own confidence in it).

Apparently it turns out the Delta 10a is not well suited to sealed cabs. So unless someone has a recommendation, I'll guess I'll be in the market for another cab.

6. How are you running your gain and the compressor?

7. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    From the eminence line, Betas or bp102's would have the best chance of working out in that sealed box.

Bp-102--low spl, no topend. Lots of low freq. and power handling.

Beta--less LF, lower power handling. Higher spl and some uppermid/top end. Still warm thump. 500 watts can kill them if you actually use it all.

May want someone to run some cab sims.

With the whole pf500 thing, I'm wondering if keeping it at 8ohms may be easier on it than 4.

8. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Other option is a couple choices from Weber. Dig up a couple of Kringle77's speaker cab threads for more info on those.

I don't know that you're actually going to net much if any improvement over the stock pf though. They already sound really "Ampeggy" and have seemingly a good amount of thump for a 210.

9. I run my PF-500 into both 8 and 4 Ohm loads, and I push it pretty hard. I DO run the compressor all of the time though. Compressor is usually at noon, and the gain is up around 2 o'clock or so. Just so both the clip and compressor light come on with my hard hits. I also have a fDeck HPF-3 right before the amp, so I am sure that helps. Master volume is floating between 9-2 o'clock depending on how loud I need to be.

10. DRafalske

DRafalske

Nov 6, 2008
    Hebron, KY
    I turn up the gain until the clip light comes on, then back it off a tad. Depending on the bass I'm playing (both my basses are passive), it's about noon - 1 o'clock. Compressor is at about 10 o'clock. Master volume is generally about 1 o'clock. EQ settings are nothing extreme. I'm not abusing the amplifier at all.

11. DRafalske

DRafalske

Nov 6, 2008
    Hebron, KY
    Indeed. I'm frankly not quite sure what I'm going to do with it when I get it back from the shop.
    I have an SVT and an 810. Maybe I'll just unload the PF rig and get a smaller cab for the SVT.

12. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Your settings don't seem like anything extreme to me. As far as that amp goes, you may just be dumping money in new drivers and seeing no benefit at all. Other than being able to run the SVT with that cab, in which case the Betas will keep an Ampeg-esque tone and aren't too expensive.

13. kringle77

kringle77 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    Alpha 10a's would be better than the bp102 or beta 10a in that box. More low end than the beta and more fullrange, efficient than the bp102.

14. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    May be on the right track there. ^^

Do you have sealed cab sims for both the Alpha and Beta? Wondering about fartout threshold. No WinISD on the phone, going from memory here.