1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New Drivers for Yamaha 2x10?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by R. Laevinus, Oct 3, 2009.

1. ...okay, so I picked up a new-to-me Yamaha 2x10 cab. I think it's a BBT210S?

Anyway, 2 tens (obviously), a tweeter, an L-pad, front ports, and GREAT TONE. Cost me 225 (listed at 275, but the manager stepped in to give me a deal), rated at 250w at 4 ohms.

One problem... the thing is pretty heavy. And, honestly, I wouldn't mind a couple more watts, although I'm fairly happy with the whole 4-ohm thing.

So here's my question - can I drop in a pair of new tens (probably high-wattage neos) without worrying too much about the tone or functionality of the cab? (The problems inherent in cab design have been drilled into me in other threads - I guess I'm basically asking if drivers are usually similar enough for me to not have to worry about it.)

Also, if I wire two 4-ohm drivers in parallel, the cab will show 4-ohms total impedance, right?

And I realize that cabs are probably all different, but in general, how should I be planning to wire the tweeter in? (Or should I pork the sucker right out, seeing as I'm a big fan of the P-bass-with-flats-and-tone-rolled-completely-off tone anyway?)

I haven't opened up the cab yet, and don't plan to until the money for the drivers comes free, but when I get around to it, I'll be sure to post pictures so that detailed and specific advice can be given (thanks in advance!). However, in the meantime, what do you say?

2. Two 4 Ohm speakers wired parallel will give you a 2 ohm load wired in series "positive to negative" will give you a 8ohm load.

3. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    They aren't, and you should. If it ain't broke don't try to fix it, especially if you don't know how.

4. That's not quite as helpful a response as I was hoping for, although I do appreciate the advice.

The way I see it is, you live and learn, and there's a first time for everything - also, I figured if I kept the original drivers, if things didn't work out I could always just put it back the way it was.

If this plot is highly unadvisable, I'll abide by your superior experience - but I was hoping for a more detailed response as to what exactly the major issues requiring attention prior to surgery are.

Thanks!

5. Charles Fields

Charles Fields

Mar 30, 2009
    Hello i'm surprised that the yam.cab does'nt sound great pair it with a 15, and it should sound great,you also say that it's heavey?

6. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    When you understand what all this means then you can contemplate driver swapping:

http://www.eminence.com/resources/data.asp

7. It DOES sound great, and I actually did pair it with my fifteen - my Boss reverb unit has stereo outs, so I run one to my Eden head (into my 2x10) and one into my Nemesis 15 combo. They sound killer.

However, the unit is a little heavy for my taste, and frankly I'd be happier if the 2x10 handled more juice - it's rated at 250w, whereas the WTX260 I'm using to pump it runs 260 watts. Not a whole lot of difference, I know, but I'd like to be able to crank the amp to 11 (if necessary!) and not worry about sending my drivers across the room. I'd also like, theoretically, to be able to use a ballsier head someday, as I'm quite fond of the cab itself.

Bill - thanks for that link! I'll do some solid research this week. Rest assured I do appreciate your input. However, in general, it's a safe bet that driver of similar parameters and material characteristics would have similar handling in the box, right?

8. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Wrong. T/S parameters only cover the range up to about 200 Hz. Above that you need to compare the measured SPL charts shown on the data sheets of the drivers being compared. Where commercial cabs are concerned chances are slim to none that you can get either T/S specs or driver data sheets.
    Driver power ratings are next to meaningless. Displacement limited power is what counts, and that's another of those fine details that you cannot obtain for 99.9% of commercial cabs.

9. hrgiger

hrgiger

Jan 11, 2009
    I think you'll be surprised if you actually find out how little difference there is between a cab with regular mags and the same cab with neo mags. It won't be much of a difference at all, at least not one that will make you able to toss the thing up on your shoulder...

10. This is fascinating. I'm beginning to understand why you keep naysaying my various amp-related shenanigans - evidently there's a great deal of art inherent in the science of sound. I will be sure to do more homework.

Well... I knew it was a very poor indication of volume output, but surely it has some bearing on the actual amount of power I can pump into the box? Or are you suggesting that I can in fact safely overpower a cab by ten watts and not have to worry about it? Forgive my confusion, I'm not sure exactly what you mean here.

Giger - I do believe that the difference between neo and ceramic-equipped drivers these days is in the range of 3 pounds per driver. Granted not a whole lot of difference, but every little bit helps. Also, the cab itself isn't a recent model, as far as I know (i.e. hopefully the drivers will be heavier than new ones), and I'm seriously considering porking out the tweeter (and therefore the L-pad and crossover, if there is one) as well - I'm sort of hoping that the weight savings could be more along the lines of 8-10 lbs.

And that would represent, to my eyes, a significant savings.