Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New drummer looking for tips

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Mike Money, Oct 19, 2003.

1. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    I will be getting a sunlite drum set within the next 2 weeks, hopefully... all I am getting is the kick, toms, and snare + snare stand, but it is all for $100 so i cannot complain... plus it is a good sunlite, he was already offered $500 for it.

I have 2 weeks to get the money... so 2 weeks is a long time to work up $100.

Since I wont be getting hardware with it, I got on musiciansfriend and put together a wishlist of things that I will need that are cheap... how does this look for beginning drummer?

Cymbals

Cymbal Stand (x2)

Throne

High-Hat stand

Barse Pedal

Dumb Key

I know that it is not gonna be the greatest set in the world, but will it keep my happy while I learn and maybe do a few small gigs?

2. sunlite sucks...personal experience

but just get just decent cymbals and you will be able to do something, I heard Paiste's were real good and underrated.

3. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    most i have played suck... but this set is actually good... plust it is the best deal im gonna get... so i cant complain.

now, how about the stuff i am going to buy after the set?

4. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Cambers actually sound O.K. for the money, the stands are o.k. will do just fine. The only thing you can't cut corners on is the bass pedal. I own an old sonar pedal and it's awesome but trust me on this. You can tune the drums, have o.k. cymbals and hardware for practice, but never ever never ever never skimp on the pedal because it will throw off your timing. Goto a music store and try some pedals out before buying something. You are fine with the other stuff, but your bass pedal is your link to your bass drum and if it sucks, so will you! If you listen to anything on this thread listen to this, I have 15 years of drumming behind me, only 1 year on the bass.

5. This is my current Kit, Tama rock Stars!

[​IMG]

Start out slow and purchase one piece at a time and you'll build a nice kit!

[​IMG]
    Treena

6. Tip - learn to groove like a human machine, the rest will take care of itself. :)

7. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Here's a tip: Don't listen to Rush!

8. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Nice, I use to own Tama Superstars, man I miss that set! Are those Zyljian's? Looks like it, those ar my fav. I hope you don't own as many drum kits as bass's..LOL

9. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Mike, look through your local classifieds and see if you can find some Zildjian, Sabian or Paiste cymbals cheap. Imo and Ime Camber cymbals are terrible.....I played them for a few years and couldnt wait to get rid of them.

As far as the other stuff, the pedal looks chintzy too. Try to find a decent DW or Ludwig Speed King......either the classifieds, music stores or even garage sales may turn something up for you nice and cheap.

The stands and throne look good, and imo you should buy two drum keys, since theyre easy to lose.

10. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Just buy better heads and the drums shoudl sound ight.

11. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    it is coming with new heads...

And I forgot to mention, I am on a $250 for hardware budget, and that is the best i can do.

12. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Yes Zyljians are the best, but if your strapped for cash like I said you can upgrade later when you get more money, put your money into the bass pedal, that's crutial!

13. first off, welcome to the wonderful world of drumming. we are the real reason people shake their booty. :D

second, like with anything, it's the musician, not the gear, that makes the music. don't get too hung up on gear; it's not what makes you a better player.

having said that, though, i would suggest getting better cymbals. that "light tonal wash" they talk about in the mf catalog is what will ultimately drive you to throw your drums out the window. you can deal with bad drums; bad cymbals are a whole 'nother animal. your hearing suffers, your sound suffers, and the overtones will make you go insane after a while. see if you can find used "name brand" cymbals. i play zildjian, paiste and sabian [no brand loyalty operating here] and they're all great. i recommend sabian because they are the most consistent-sounding, and they're also more affordable. just buy a ride cymbal and hi-hats for now; add on crashes later. if you're really hurting, just buy hats.

as for the hardware; same deal. they'll all essentially do the job, though some will break down sooner, or have other features like 'memory locks' that others won't. you just want some hardware that'll hold yer damn cymbals in place. tip: single-braced [one "limb" per support leg vs. two] hardware is lighter, which is a key factor when hauling. i wish i'd have bought single-braced.

i would recommend getting an Evans heavy duty drum key. i've broken every drum key i've had except the evans. You will inevitably tighten your heads too much one day, while "experiment-
    ing", and trust me, you'll need the evans to dislodge them.

as for the pedal, i kinda disagree that it's the most important element, though it certainly is important. some pedals are sturdier than others [eg; dw makes some great pedals], but again, it's you, not the gear. you can do quite a bit of adjusting on just about any pedal to get the action that you need. one thing to keep in mind is that drum makers want you to buy their pedals, too, so they tend to make compatible models for their bass drums. i have pearl drums and yamaha pedals, and they don't really match, so i have to slip a piece of felt under the tongue so it stays firmly in place on the bass. no big deal, but something to keep in mind. i played on a ludwig speed king for years, a pedal that's considered a dinosaur, and it served me well, squeaks and all.

last bit of advice: get a drum teacher, and learn how to tune your drums. it's tough to get some "lower end" kits to sound killer, but with proper head selection and tuning, you can improve their sound considerably. remember to tune the bottom heads as well!

oh, and of course: get revolution drumkit mutes. they will keep you from going deaf, but you will be able to hear the sweet sound of your drums!

www.revolutionmutes.com

peace and happy drumming-
    ms. meeks

14. Aquarian's Studio X heads are very forgiving and still have a lot of resonance. The coated version will give a little more stick articulation.

15. Mankind

Mankind

Oct 20, 2003
    England
    Pearl every time for me. Imho your better off getting a decent kit and being set for a few years. Played drums before i started bass (started bass 2 weeks ago) due to general bordom. I didn't realise bass was so much harder though.

16. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Great advise, did you see the pedal he was looking at? I'm stressing the pedal thing because the one he has in mind is a total POS! It was like a 30 dollar Sonar, I recommend he at least gets a decent pedal, the brands you mentioned are good, I use to own an old speed king too!! But have you ever played a sluggish pedal? Why even play, to me it throws off my timing.

17. you may be right on that point. i haven't experimented with a zillion types of pedals, but i have found that some are more comfortable than others. again, i think that with some adjusting [eg; changing the angle of the beater], you can compensate for some of that sluggishness. i have a yamaha, rogers and speedking pedal, and they all have their quirks, but i can generally get around them. sometimes i think it's good to play on less than stellar equipment, because it forces you to control what's going on. you have to concentrate more. then, when you upgrade, it's like getting into a nicer car. just an easier ride overall.

if i had my druthers, i'd upgrade to a dw. but i have no druthers, nor cash for that matter. so yammy and rogers it is!

:p
    meeks

18. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    I did both, and this happened:
    me drums

I tend to agree pretty much with everything Miko said. You can start on just about anything and develop the skills and gear as you go. It won't sound the greatest, but it'll get you going. A sluggish pedal may actually make you develop more speed to overcome that obstacle. Even the cheap ones can be adjusted to where you can get by, usually...I started on a crummy bass and an antique gretsch drum set, and they got me going to where I felt reasonably proficient on both instruments.

Bad cymbals can be painful, and may not be as durable. They're more susceptible to cracking if you smack too hard. That's probably the first link in the upgrade chain. But if you have all the basics covered, you should be OK for starting out.

If I could offer any advice to a beginner, it would be to go easy on the kit at first, especially if it's lower quality. If you start really bashing away (as cathartic as that may be) you will probably be without a kit rather quickly. Learning to play quiet and slow are probably the 2 toughest lessons. You can always build speed and strength as you go, and you won't have worn your set out in your first year.

oh, and don't ever play a Spaun kit if you want to be content with what you have...

19. Victor Wooten98

Victor Wooten98 Guest

Jul 31, 2003
    South of Heaven...
    Well, I would look into Sabian Cymbals, IMO they are the best Cymbals avaliable...

The best thing to do, is to go and buy yourself a good Practice pad and work on it, using alternating L, R, L, R on 8th notes, Then Throwing in Accents on some of the beats, and Making Patterns with them, that can be VERY useful, I drum but I like Tech stuff, like Mike Portnoy and Virgil Donati. A good exercise is Para dittle's (I dont know if I spelled that right) and then Para Para Dittle's and Finally Para Para Para Dittle's, they are GREAT exercise to work with. Doing the same, but alternating between the Hi-Hat pedal and the Kick drum are also a good effect.

SO

Pa ra pa ra di tle
    R--L--R--L--R--R (Then alternates)
    L--R--L--R--L--L (and repeats to hearts content)

If you have any drumming questoins feel free to ask me in PM's, I will be more than happy to help you out.

20. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    One more thing, METRONOME!