Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Drumming Technique?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Stephen S, Jun 28, 2004.

1. Stephen S

Stephen S Member

Apr 10, 2002
    San Bernardino, CA
    So normally when I'd hold a drum stick I'd grip it between my thumb and index finger, sorta bracing it with my index finger and middle. I think that is how people normally do it. Well today I was messing around and discovered I could apply a little bit of bass technique to the mix. While doing a drum roll, instead of bouncing my stick with my index and middle at the same time, I alternate them. I don't know if anyone else has ever tried this. I'm also expanding it even more by bouncing it on my index, middle, and ring. My ultimate goal is to do drum rolls with one hand. Any one seen this anywhere else?

2. Joey3313

Joey3313

Nov 28, 2003
    Draw a diagram, but chances are it's been done before.

3. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    sorry, buddy...old stuff ;) as a former snare drummer (i marched snare in high school and drum corps) this is the proper technique to get your single stroke rolls (match grip) really smokin'...what you do is hold the stick firmly between your thumb and index finger (make sure there is no space between where your thumb meets your hand all the way up to where the stick goes between your thumb and index---and the grip between your thumb and index should _never_ be relaxed...this is your fulcrum!). hold the stick approximately an inch above the head and you can alternately apply pressure to the stick using you middle, ring and pinky fingers. you just use the roll the stick in your fingers harnessing the force of the stick bouncing off of the head. this is how a lot of the "learned" metal drummers seem to beat the mud out of their snare so quickly with so little effort...it's a really cool technique, and when polished, is very impressive...there's just something about using single stroke rolls vice multiple bounce type rolls...kinda like the whole electric guitarist 'downstroke' thing...kudos to ya for using your noodle and making the stick do the work for you...keep it up, man!

4. Stephen S

Stephen S Member

Apr 10, 2002
    San Bernardino, CA
    Once again my dreams of patenting a new technique and selling instructional booklets on Ebay are crushed. Oh well.

5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Music-related. Moved to Misc.