New! DSM Humboldt Electronics ClearComp Compressor Pedal

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Cave Puppy, Jul 7, 2022.

1. Cave Puppy

Cave Puppy "Humph Bo, he's wond!" - John Lennon

Jan 13, 2015
    creamyj.bandcamp.com
    BrentSimons likes this.
  2. J Posega

J Posega Cat Dad and Dingwall Enthusiast Supporting Member

Jul 16, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    That's a really comprehensive feature set and it's visually pleasing. One point taken away for side jacks with a top power jack. I prefer either all side or all top jacks.

odarellmc and Cave Puppy like this.
  3. Very little around on this that I’ve found

4. eqvolvorama

eqvolvorama Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2000
    Arlington, Virginia
    I just got mine. Still playing with it. I love the DSM bass simplifier and this seems built to the same standard.

First impressions are that it is a very full featured classic compressor circuit, meaning there are plenty of extreme settings that will sound terrible, but that tinkering will bear fruit. I have some great, punchy sounds and look forward to refining them along with the rest of my gear.

I’ve only run at 9V so far but will attempt 18V soon. It seems very quiet as far as compressors go.

odarellmc likes this.
  5. odarellmc

odarellmc

Jul 8, 2012
    Chicago
    I've been very curious about this compressor. Subscribing.

6. eqvolvorama

eqvolvorama Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2000
    Arlington, Virginia
    Okay, I’ve spent a few days with the new DSM compressor, and I’m sold. This is basically a 1176 in a small box, much like the Cali76 series. Like all compressors you need to do some experimenting to find your sweet spot, but when you do, it’s heaven. The DSM ClearComp is dead quiet, transparent, and gives your sound a punchy, hi-fi warmth without ever sounding brittle.

I’ve only played through a real 1176 once, several years ago, so I’m going off of memory here, but the DSM feels more like a vintage studio compressor than, say, my Analogman Bi-Comprossor. I love the Analogman, but it’s clearly an effect. If you’re playing Sledgehammer, you want the effect. But if I’m ever playing a dance gig or something where I want to pretend I’m Nathan East or Anthony Jackson, the DSM is going to step in. And it will do great.

I’ve already tried the DSM in my new mini pedalboard setup consisting of:

DSM ClearComp > JHS Clover > DSM Bass Simplifier

What I’ve realized here is that an amazing “clean sound” can be achieved by turning the Simplifier preamp all the way off, and just using it as a cab sim. That way I’m getting the compressed bass sound, shaped on the fly to my preference, with the edge rolled off so it won’t stick out like a sore thumb in a small band or venue. I can see this tone working in a lot of different contexts.

I’ve tried running at 9V and 18V and cannot tell the difference.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2022
    odarellmc and Cave Puppy like this.
  7. NOVAX

NOVAX

Feb 7, 2009
    Kalifornia
    Just got one. So far, so great. My squash boxes:

-DSM Humboldt Clearcomp
    -Pigtronix Philosopher Bass v.1
    -Ibanez BP-10 Bass Compressor