New dudepit P bass limited edition

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by duke2004, Oct 2, 2005.

1. duke2004

duke2004 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2004
    Cambridge, Mass.
    What do folks think about the Dudepit P style bass w/Dark Star pickups? Looks like a sweet bass, but has anyone got any experience playing DarkStar pickups?

Part B....Also im wondering if those folks have ever done custom run of basses and how one might, or not, hold its value. Looks like this bass is going to be $1500. Im seriously considering the purchase.
  2. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Darkstars are AMAZING. I got the chance to play a Lakland Decade that was passive. The tones I could get from the thing were AMAZING. Go for it dude.
  3. duke2004

Mar 29, 2004
    Cambridge, Mass.
    hey Andover, Mass. almost neighbors. Where'd you get to play the new Lakland, prey tell?
  4. Because of all the hype, I'm somewhat intrigued by Darkstars. Could you, or anyone else with some Darkstar experience, describe their sound in a little more detailed way, please? Not that "AMAZING" isn't a good starting point or anything.
  5. fresnorich

Sep 17, 2003
    Fresno, CA
    Was it a red one?
  6. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA

Okay, well the darkstars are just very full pickups. When on the bridge PU, the bass had a fretless vibe to it, even though it was fretted. Kind of odd, but wicked cool. Both pickups on it was very thumpy and clear, and on the neck PU it was very very deep. The pickups can be described as J pickups+P pickups+crack.

I played it at the NYC GTG. It was one of my favorite basses.
  7. They're designed to emulate the Hagstrom-made pickups on old (60's) Guild Starfire basses, aren't they? That's my understanding.
  8. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I think so.
  9. In this month's Bass Player (Sir Paul on the cover), there's an interesting article on old Starfire basses. It discusses the many and various merits of the Hagstrom-made pickups.
  10. Yggdrasil

Aug 16, 2001
    Go Here:!

Hammon Engineering Web Page - Dark Star Pickups

I have them on a Guild Starfire USA reissue. I've owned 3 other Starfires - a 67 with original Hagstroms (still have it); a non-modded USA Reissue and an Alembic - modded 1972.

The Dark Stars are amazing - none of the others have anything over them - I prefer it to my 67, and it blows the stock Guild reissue away. The only contender would be the Alembicized Guild, but any perceived difference ain't worth the coin!

11. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    After midnight tonight (10/02/05), the price goes up to $1599 with no case or gig bag. If you really want one, act quickly to save some $!

(FWIW, I plunked down my deposite some time ago...) :smug:
  12. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Dang... doesn't look like a 5-string Dark Star is available.
  13. duke2004

Mar 29, 2004
    Cambridge, Mass.
    price goes up tomorrow? yikes, decision time
  14. Yet...:)
  15. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    Yeah, I'd like to see that too.

16. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    I came damned close to pulling the trigger on that Dude Pit Limited Edition Lakland Glaub with Dark Star for almost two weeks. It's gorgeous, and I bet it would sound great in the "indie" and hard rock I typically play. And I'm a big fan of high output single coils. I even pulled up my PayPal account to send the deposit, but I somehow held off, waiting for the GAS to, um, pass.

Eventually I decided it probably wouldn't add enough tonal variation to my arsenal of MIA P, MIA J, and DiPinto Belvedere to justify the expense. Probably a mistake, but I'm sure something else will come along to fan the GAS flames. It always does!
  17. Fred Hammon

Fred Hammon Dark Star pickups

May 13, 2005
    Hype? What hype?
    Certainly not from me! :bag:
  18. Hey Fred,

Great job on the Dark question that's on everyone's mind....

are you working on a 5 string version?
  19. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Formerly the owner/builder of LeCompte Electric Bass
    I'm building a bass right now with some DS's. I'll hype them when it's done.