1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New Duff Bass! but whats with the noise?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by starchild_ex4, Apr 26, 2009.

1. starchild_ex4

starchild_ex4

Apr 26, 2009
    I'm a newly converted bass player. Free from the chains of EMGs and modelling amps, I am new to the world of noise.

The Jazz Special seemed like a nice bass so I bought the heck out of it. After a few weeks of layng down some truly brutal basslines I noticed a buzz. It might have been there from the beginning. I don't recall. I thought it was probably the bridge ground and i'd get to it when I change strings. The bridge ground was good. This noise occurs when the P bass pickup is selected and the TBX knob is turned up. When I touch the strings, the noise goes away. When the knob is turned down, there is no noise. No loose wires in the cavity.

My question is...is this one of the joys of the P-Bass pickup, or am I doing it wrong?

2. Welcome to the joys of a PJ bass. Sounds like normal single coil hum to me. You can check your ground wire underneath the bridge to make sure it's making good contact. One trick is to fold a small piece of tin foil around the wire end so that's it's flat and put the bridge back on. That way it will give the wire more surface area against the bridge.

3. starchild_ex4

starchild_ex4

Apr 26, 2009
    Thank you for your reply. If thats normal, I can deal. When I checked the bridge ground I bared a bunch more wire and squashed it with the bridge. I will certainly foil up the ground wire next time I change strings. I'm also going to resolder the ground wires in the cavity to see if this improves the situation.

4. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    The P pickups shouldn't hum, but the J pickup will. There are hum canceling J pickups on the market. Basses shouldn't hum IMHO.

Welcome to the world of bass playing! I play guitar also, but I'm not a convert from either one.