1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NEW Duff McKagan prototype Precision

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lee Kirkham, Dec 3, 2017.

1. Lee Kirkham

Lee Kirkham

Jan 14, 2013
    Gilbert, AZ
    Saw this on a gear video on YT and thought I'd share. Duff is testing this beast out as a possible new version of his signature bass. I might have to look into this one if it comes to fruition.

new-duff-full.

new-duff-body.

scottm, Shawn Luckman, IPA and 7 others like this.
  2. Id be into that as well, Interesting choice having a Fingerrest when he is a pick player. Probably will appeal to more people then his current signature though. I have 2 80s Jazz Specials like his originals, in Black and White but I get not everyone likes the pickguard-less look.

rickwebb likes this.
  3. Lee Kirkham

Lee Kirkham

Jan 14, 2013
    Gilbert, AZ
    Yeah, I'm digging that feature as well. I see this as being more of a signature bass for him since the other really wasn't specially made for him, he just ended up becoming famous and giving that model more exposure.

4. bigtone23

bigtone23

Dec 10, 2014
    Denver, CO
    I like the choices, down with being all black, the blocks, the switch. No need for a tug bar...

5. Lee Kirkham

Lee Kirkham

Jan 14, 2013
    Gilbert, AZ
    In the video, the tech mentions a pearl white version also being considered.

6. marh415

marh415

Nov 30, 2013
    RI
    I just read an interview where he said he has been relearning all his GnR songs using only fingers now. I'm also really digging that bass as well. He has become one of my favorites, I don't think he gets the recognition he deserves IMO.

J_Bass, filler83 and East Coast like this.
  7. SuperK

SuperK

Sep 12, 2012
    San Jose, CA
    Yes. In the same video his tech mentions that he plays about 20% with his fingers currently and is learning to play more and more with his fingers.
    But all the Appetite songs are played with a pick.

marh415 likes this.
  8. Would be cool to see them offer it with an ebony or ebanol board. Not digging the rosewood on a blacked out body.

Atshen likes this.
  9. SuperK

SuperK

Sep 12, 2012
    San Jose, CA
    19873423-F0F0-41F0-82B8-138E0A87313C. Here’s a pic of the Pearl white from Duff’s Instagram.

Bassist Jay, Livewire, Atshen and 3 others like this.
  10. marh415

marh415

Nov 30, 2013
    RI
    Well poopie, I guess I should start saving now!

11. SuperK

SuperK

Sep 12, 2012
    San Jose, CA
    Yea. That does look sweet!

12. Lee Kirkham

Lee Kirkham

Jan 14, 2013
    Gilbert, AZ
    Thanks for the photo update. They had mentioned a white version before but I hadn't seen it until now. Looks way cool.

13. consectaneus

consectaneus

Sep 23, 2016
    I've been thinking about a Fender PJ. Any more news on this?

14. Livewire

Livewire Yahtzeeee

Nov 13, 2007
    Brooklyn, NY
    Ditto. Saw he posted on Instagram about them. In the market for a PJ. Hopefully they're coming out soon without a $1500 price tag on it.

15. IPA

IPA

May 5, 2010
    Super cool. I liked that PJ jazz he was playing for a while too. I think it was white?

16. jeff62

jeff62 Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    It’s just a PJ. Easily found and if you want that electronic package, easily accommodated.

17. SuperK

SuperK

Sep 12, 2012
    San Jose, CA
    That neck is pretty sweet though. Not found on your typical PJ. Here are the two pics he posted on Instagram...

F8133F5D-F1B8-44B0-BC5D-36F064A917D8. D3EA8934-A74B-47D0-8648-B046FA8B73B9.

18. SuperK

SuperK

Sep 12, 2012
    San Jose, CA
    Are you talking about his original Jazz Bass Special from the early days of GnR?
    72FA5128-5283-4D4F-A9F4-8C6B320AE263.

19. chanson

chanson Supporting Member

Some more info on a new Duff signature coming from Fender...looks pretty cool. I preferred the look of the 3 ply pickguard in the previous photos though.

Attached Files:

20. SuperK

SuperK

Sep 12, 2012
    San Jose, CA
    Duff posted a few more pics on Twitter too. Looks like it's the same two basses that you posted. I'm not sure if the "12" in the 12th fret pearl inlay is standard or just something on his personal basses as an homage to the Seahawks. I wouldn't want it on mine (Go Niners!). The neck plate has the skull & crossbones logo engraved into it.