Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Duncan Musicman replacement pup?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Michael Jewels, Jun 10, 2002.

1. The shop shown below is doing some work on my Yamaha. While discussing what can be done to a Stingray to get a better tone (if that's possible) Jimmy, the owner of the guitar & bass boutique told me that Seymour Duncan recently came out with a vintage replacement pup for Stingrays. He said it has a much warmer tone than the current MM pups, and that it has the large pole pieces like the 70s 'Rays. He also said it's made of alnico magnets vs ceramic. So, has anyone heard of, or actually heard this pup live? I'm curious. I'm very satisfied with my Stingray in all departments, but, a warmer tone does sound inviting.

Any info would be appreciated.

Mike J.

www.guitarboutique.com

2. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000

Fran Diaz

Mar 28, 2002
    Santander, Spain
    Bassist
    Michael,

This pickups have been in the market since 1997, but the alnico version was a custom order and very expensive (around $200). now it's in standard production and list as the ceramic version.
    I'm about to try one in my Ray, it should be here in two days and I'll try to instal it before the weekend. I'll write a review in this same thread to let you know how it sounds.

keep groooovin'
    Fran

P.S. FYI, the stock pickup has alnico magnets.

4. Yeah, Frandiaz, I'd appreciate that very much if you could do that, thanks.

And thanks, Notduane for the link. I'll read it at lunch.

Mike J.

5. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz

Mar 28, 2002
    Santander, Spain
    Bassist
    As I said here it is my review:

-The preamp: I had already installed the preamp a few months ago with the stock pickup. Pros: The brittle, "electronic" highs of the stock preamp were gone, the mid control is cleaner. The slap contour switch is not only great for slap, it gives you a round, warm finger tone for softer styles where you don't need to cut through loud guitars. Cons: The installation guide is s**t. I was lucky b/c I had a wonderful guide written by Bill Bolton who had had to deal with the problem first. I found the low freq. control set too low for my tastes, but now I like how it works with the SD pickup, I suppose that they were designed to work together.

-The pickup: mine is the alnico version, never tried the ceramic. I have added a switch in the control plate for series/parallel operation. Series is louder, with more lows and mids and cuts like a knife, its like a StingRay in steroids. Parallel is the stock wiring: The tone has deeper lows (with the preamp set flat), and it's more refined than that of the stock pu. The G strings sings as never before, even when I roll off the treble completely.

-Conclusions: If you're happy with the stock pickup and preamp why change it? well maybe to try something new and see if you like it more, you can always go back to the original. I'm not going back to the stock stuff, sure it's good, but the SD is better (IMO and for my taste). I've got a variety of tones that the StingRay didn't give me before.

6. Hey Frandiaz, nice review. Now, I'm definitely interested in getting one of those pickups, but, first I have to pay for the upgrades on my Yamaha, which should be ready any day. Then, I want to either upgrade or sell* my MIM fretless Jazz. I don't play it as much as I'd like for one reason and one reason only: The single coil humming drives me out of my mind. I want to either install good sounding silent pickups, or buy one of those Dean semi-hollow body Rhapsody basses. It's got one pickup which I like, and it's also got a 24 fret board.

To be honest, I'm 100% satisfied with the sound of my Stingray, but, after reading your review, the possibility of it sounding better has really got me thinking now. Well, thanks again for the review. I'm going to print it out and save it for when I decide if I want to improve my Stingray.

Mike J.
    * Knowing me, I'll never sell it. I hate parting with any of my "children." :cool:

7. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz

Mar 28, 2002
    Santander, Spain
    Bassist
    Michael,
    If you decide to instal the basslines preamp maybe you can be interested in the guide that Bill Bolton wrote for me. it would have been a hell without it.

just let me know if you want it.

Fran.
    tallent AT wanadoo DOT es