Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New DVD of Rufus Reid - Evolving Bassist?

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by Bruce Lindfield, Dec 9, 2003.

1. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

So - I just got JazzWise magazine's latest catalogue of stuff for musicians and noticed that they are offering 'from December' a DVD of Rufus Reid "bringing to life" his best-selling book and how it applies to the real world of Jazz peformance - with help from Mulgrew Miller and Lewis Nash.

It says the DVD contains : printable lead sheets, with biographies,web links, transcriptions, as well as a concert feature.

I am very tempted to buy it - listed as £29.95 - anybody seen it yet and have any idea about how much it adds to the book/CD idea?

2. Adrian Cho

Adrian Cho Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    I haven't seen it but it sounds good. I like the book.

3. Bruce Lindfield

I have the book but I was wondering what a DVD could add...?:meh:

Maybe I'll just have to be the first to buy it!! ;)

4. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    I'm going to pick this up in New York in January. Rufus is doing a clinic at the IAJE convention, and I'll get him to sign it for me. I'll let you know.

5. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Get it, get it, get it!!!

I went to Rufus' clinic, which touched on many of the topics of the DVD. I had actually already bought it, because I knew it would be great. I was not disappointed. I watched some of it last night (it's 2 1/2 hours long!) and it's just great!

Rufus is such a beautiful cat, too. You just can't help but love him. I'm jealous of you guys on the east coast that have the opportunity to study with him.

6. FidgetStone

FidgetStone

Jun 30, 2002
    Allen, TX
    I ordered it the other night off of Amazon. I hope to have it by the weekend. I'll post my impressions when I get it. I'll more of a visual learner than a book learner so I hoping this gives me a nice little prod in the right direction.

7. Bruce Lindfield

Thanks for coming back on that, I shall probably order it from Jazzwise at the end of eth week!! :)

8. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    I asked the wife to buy it for my Valentine's present. Of course, I had to buy her a new PDA to get it, but I'm still looking forward to it.

9. Adrian Cho

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    Ah you old romantic! <G>

10. Jimbo

Jimbo

Dec 4, 2000
    Philadelphia, PA
    oh wow i'm suprised so many people knew about this book! my band director in high shcool lent me his copy to help me develop my walking styles. i might have to buy this dvd myself...

-jimbo

11. jlattuada

jlattuada

Apr 25, 2001
    Richmond, Va
    The new Rufus Reid DVD is fantastic. Got it about two weeks ago off of Amazon. It is an excellent complement to the book.

12. degroove

degroove

Jun 5, 2002
    Wilmington, DE
    Would it be good as a supplement to a beginner who is also taking lessons?

Does it go into bowing? I have the book and am using with book with my instructor...

13. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    I too would be interested to hear whether this DVD is of use to someone just starting jazz bass.

DB

14. Adrian Cho

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    That's precisely what it is for. It is the best instruction DVD for jazz bass I've seen so far - especially for beginners. It also includes good material on the filesystem part of the DVD (put it in your PC to access). Not much bowing on there though. Lots of good stuff though about creating lines, being comfortable with the bass, etc.

15. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    I got this DVD a few weeks back, but have only just recently had time to sit and watch it. I'm a pretty basic URB player, with experience only in bluegrass, blues and traditional country stuff and I've always wanted to start learning jazz standards. Honestly, I have been pretty intimidated by it....until I saw this DVD. RR imparts a real comfort level and an "you can do this" feeling about the whole affair. This is something that my short-lived relationship with our local bass teacher never gave me.

I'd pay a lot of money to be able to have RR as an instructor on a regular basis.

16. Bruce Lindfield

That's a big plus point for me!! ;)

17. Hi all,
    does anyone know whether this DVD is available for australia - we have region 4 DVD format here I believe.
    thanks

Paul Arkell

18. Adrian Cho

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    Hi Paul. I very much doubt it myself. You could send Rufus a a message and ask him - he's pretty responsive. When I lived in Australia (I'm an Aussie now living in Canada) all the music DVDs I bought were Region 1 and played them on my PC.

Adrian

19. oystein

oystein

Sep 15, 2001
    Norway, Leikong
    Hi,
    I live in Norway-Europe and we have region 2 coding. I bought the DVD from Amazon and there is no region code restriction on it.

regards Oystein