New E string vibrating very strangely

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Spikeh, Aug 24, 2005.

1. Spikeh

Spikeh Sex Strings

OK... I can't find anything with quite the same problem when I search, so here goes.

Just replaced my strings on my Jazz for the first time, and they're all fine apart from the E string... it's making a noise that (to me) sounds like a string is vibrating inside the string... hard to explain. I'm talking about plucking the E when it's not plugged into an amp.

It's more noticable when the string is open - in fact, it's really annoying. When I do plug it into an amp it vibrates my cab something rotten. When I fret it, it almost goes away, but you can still hear it if you listen carefully.

I took my bass into the shop and the guy played about with it for a bit, adjusted the truss rob, played with the bridge, nut etc... it kinda died down very slightly, but not enough to be happy with! It's come back with avengance with playing since...

I'm gonna take it back to the shop again - they said they'd replace the string, but they're convinced it's something to do with the bass itself. The last E string didn't do anything like this (it was just dull as I'd been playing with it for about 6 months).

It's worth emphasising that this is the basses first string change since I bought it, it's a Fender Jazz Actve Deluxe 4 string and the strings I've put on it are the heaviest guage available (apparently). They're nickel roundwounds.
  2. Something like this happened to me fairly recently I bought a pack of Dean Markley Blue Steels 105-45 (which is what I had before) and the E string was vibrating wierd so after a week I changed the string back to the one I had on before and after I couldn't take the dull sound of the old string I put the wierd one back on and the wierd vibrations were gone. I still don't know what was the problem but it never happened again so you could try puting the old E string back on for a one or two weeks the put the new one back on and see if the fixes worked for me
  3. Spikeh

Spikeh Sex Strings

I don't have the old E string any more, so that's out! But I did take it back to the shop, and they replaced it... when I was in the shop it sounded perfect, but when I got it home and started slapping / playing heavily, it came back.

I managed to get rid of it by pressing down on the e string, behind the nut really hard... it's gone at the moment, but I fear it'll be back. Does anyone else have any ideas? It's killing me...
  4. lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    Perhaps the area of the string between the bridge and nut has twist in it. Try taking the string off and putting it back on as groove reaper suggested.

Also, your pickup may be too close to the string. If the magnet is too close it causes weird sounds, or so I hear.
  5. Spikeh

Spikeh Sex Strings

It's certainly nothing to do with the action - it's really high (I'm gonna lower it when I get the relief sorted).

I've taken it off and restrung it a few times, but still nothing - I'm gonna try it again tonight, and maybe file down the nut grooves a little bit to see if that's the problem (the strings are much heavier than the originals and the grove might be wrong?).
  6. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Are your tuning pegs all loose and wobbly? Perhaps the string isn't seated properly in the bridge. Check the control cavity for anything loose in there that may be rattling. Does the string sit firmly in the nut? i have an OLP 5 string that the A string rattels like you described. I put a piece of toilet paper on the groove in teh nut and it fixes the problem! Try buying a new E string loose from the can probably get one from the local shop for a few bucks or shillings or euros...whatever! I've gotten string sets before where one string felt totally different from the they packaged up the wrong kind with the rest! It may just be a faulty string! Good Luck
  7. GreenMachine

Apr 30, 2005
    the same happens to my bass. i get the vibrating thing happening too. more frequently when i play the lower frets. no ones ever been able to figure out whats goin on so im gonna buy some new strings next week. hopefully itl go away.
  8. 7flat5

Nov 28, 2003
    Upstate NY
    Strange vibrations happening when playing open string usually = not seated right in the nut slot. I had a very similar problem with a new string not seated quite right on the bridge, but that was even worse when fretting. Problems with buzzing in the nut are kind of hard to pin down. Put your ear right up to the nut and pluck the string. Do the same in the middle of the string, and at the bridge. I bet you will hear clearly there is a strange little vibration coming from the nut end.

So, did you file the nut, and did it work?