Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

new EA 12" combo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by frederic b. hodshon, Oct 2, 2002.

1. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    looks pretty nice:

[​IMG]

This is a concept that we believe needed to happen. And we brought it to EA, and they did it with their typical no compromise fashion. This model is identical to the Wizzy 12 with the addition of a custom designed power amplifier that provides a solid 200 watts to the Wizzy 12 driver.
    Players have always had the dilemma of owning equipment for every possible gig situation. That results in many items being carried if you want your "sound" to be with you. Definitely a pain for some gigs. Here's the solution. Now you can use whatever signal processing you want for your instruments, without being restricted by always having to carry an amp and speakers. Choose your ulimate tone shaping gear, and only take the powered speaker when required! If more volume is required, simply add another a second powered Wizzy 12. No need for an additional power amp. Just connect the Link Output from the first unit to the Link Input of the second. That's it!

Configuration: single driver
    Amplifier: 200 Kevlar full bandwidth 12"
    Woofer: custom watt full range class D amplifier system
    Tweeter: none
    Frequency Response: 45Hz to 10kHz }3dB
    Sensitivity: 103dB @1M
    Sound Pressure Level: 126dB @1M
    Power Handling: 200 watts (continuous unclipped power)
    Connection: rear mounted XLR input, Link XLR for linking another unit
    Size: 19.25"H x 17"W x 12.5"D
    Weight: under 40 lbs. Exact weight to be posted
    Handle: One top mounted strap handle
    Price: to be announced
    AVAILABLE DATE TO BE ANNOUNCED

f

2. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    wow,

how did you get involved floody? are you a dealer or something? great looker, but only 200 watts? even its 10" elder had 350 watts. why not just cram the iAMP350's power section ontop?

3. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Hmmm....I wonder if this is going to be out at about the same time as the iAmp800. If so I'll have to leave your post in my will so I can let my grandkids know about it. :rolleyes:

I agree with Joker. Based on past EA performance 200 watts seems a little slim for their 12"er. I mean they encourage people to put over a 1000 watts though the 2x10 for gosh sakes.

brad cook

4. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    i agree with you both.

in my endless hunt for a decent combo, i can really only justify getting an HT112 for my QSC/Aguilar rig.

now, if only the V-Bass came as a rack mount.

maybe when i start consulting for Roland.

;)

f

5. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    1. F -Wizzy 12? They don't sell such a thing in the US. Is that a UK-only item? (The CXL112 has a coaxial woofer/horn, this one appears to have just a 12 with a "wizzer" cone)

2. Others - The new cabs are significantly more efficient than the old ones, 4x or so. I think 200w would do a CXL112 pretty nicely. Also, I'm guessing that this Wizzy 12 is a lower-end version of the 1x12 design, so 200w might be just right.

I like the idea though - powered speakers. Just bring more as the need arises, don't have to worry about bridging / impedance etc. If you have two, you can run mono or stereo if so desired. etc.

I'm curious how the high-end sounds on the Wizzy though. You can get a suprising amount of high end out of a 12" driver with a wizzer cone, but I'm not sure how high the quality can be. (for example, most "default" car-stereo speakers are single-driver full-range jobs with wizzer cones).

6. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Any answers, Fred?

7. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    This is where I first heard about the Wizzy 12:

Club Bass

8. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Hmm. Interesting - pretty small and only 25 pounds. I'm curious how it'll sound.

9. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    [​IMG]
    Here is the Wizzy combo. I think it is a more affordable, lighter version of the iAmp combo. Dave at Club Bass has a great relationship with these guys and often gets the first shipment of new gear.

BTW I agree about the new cabs being more efficient. I sold my VL series and bought CXL's and they're much louder at the same iAmp settings.

LM