New EB basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by cubeenz, Sep 28, 2001.

1. I've heard talk about the new budjet MusicMan basses, and that you can find them at Musician's Friend, but I haven't been able to find them anywhere. Does anyone have a link to a page or pictures of them? Thanks.
  2. hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
  3. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Here's are some pictures of a 5-String OLP bass. Note that this bass and every other OLP i've seen todate are equipped with passive electronics, unlike a real MM StingRay which have active electronics.
    Notice that there are only 3 knobs on the bass. A MM SR-5 has 4 knobs, with the fourth controling the EQ.

4. Gman

Jan 4, 2000
    Indianapolis, IN
    I saw these things at GC yesterday. :rolleyes:

The only thing they have in common with an Ernie Ball, is the shape. Thats the end of the similarities.

You'r not gonna get much for $250, and the Stringray5 copy is truly nothing more than a typical Chinese or Indonesian knock off. Nothing special at all. Fit and finish is exactly what you'd expect for $250. I think that the Squiers that I've seen have been better.

5. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I played them today. The 4 is a pretty good bass for 250.00. Don't bother with the 5.
  6. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    I still don't see why people have been getting their panties in a knot about them... The Jay Turser has been out for years now...
  7. Played a 4 and a 5 today. I hated the 5 string spacing, way too small. The B SUCKED too. The 4 was slightly better(maybe because it was about £40 cheaper), but both had pretty crappy tone, you could hear how cheap it was. Played OK.
  8. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    I tried the OLP Stingray 4 at GC today, the tone lacked clarity but it was definitely better than the Squiers IMO.
  9. i played the 4 at gc today... my opinion fallows... i didnt bother to plug it in... and lets leave it at that...

It might have been the set up on it, or that i'm used to jazz basses, but it was a very uncomfortable neck. it had extremly high action... so i'm thinking that was a main point of why it was umcomfortable to play... but the acoustic sound wasnt doing much for me, so i put it back on the rack...
  10. Sheesh, everyone made it seem like some "new" thing that was an exact copy of a StingRay, complete with the ErnieBall branding, just with passive electronics. It's not like someone just invented the copy ionstrument. Please, people, don't make such a big deal about this stuff. Heh... :)
  11. tdogg

Jan 17, 2001
    Brooklyn Park, MN
    i just think it'd be funny to play what every
    body thinks is a mm and then drop it on the
    ground at the end of your set, and watch jaws
  12. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania

IMO it has an MM look to it, but it's not that hard to tell that it's not an MM, especially considering the huge "O" on the headstock. :)
  13. Freakapotamus9

Jun 20, 2001
    thatd be rich ..... :D

ive never seen one of these ..... may be a blessing in disguise ...... :D
  14. tdogg

Jan 17, 2001
    Brooklyn Park, MN
    dear crawling eye dude....i hate to break it to ya but not everybody would notice that right away. people watching me play an olp would probably just wonder what im doing with out a warwick.. (dont steal my thunder)
  15. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Well, OLP means "officially licensed product" and the bass IS marked as "licensed by Ernie Ball". I guess that's not quite as ringing an endorsement as what Fender gives Squier or Gibson gives Epiphone :) but in theory anyway it makes them a tad more authentic than the Tursers and Samicks.

I'm surprised they did such a low end instrument, I was expecting something more like a $5-600 bass. That could have been interesting.
  16. Ah, now I get it. I didn't realize that these were liscenced instruments. There is no link on the Ernie Ball site like Fender and Gibson have. They do look like nice instruments, but I'm still saving for my real StingRay.

Has anyone played one of the OLP's, or does anyone know where to find a review of them?