Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New ebay scam

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Yamarc, Oct 25, 2004.

1. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    We got some new Tools tring to screw folks on ebay. Here is some information about them:

AlessMy@aol.com
    914-301-8775

wanted me to send some money to:

Jacob Otto
    2302 n Douglas ave,
    Arlington Heights, Il
    USA

I won this ebay auction and he agreed (beforehand) to send the bass COD. No deal and no way I am sending this tool my money. I can't tell where his wife's accent is from but I have not talked with him. Here is the auction: it is obviously taken from bassnorthwest so be careful out there...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=4713&item=3755014796&rd=1

2. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I didn't see any pictures. Did I miss them?

3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    he agreed to send it to you COD, and you have a problem with that? you bid on the auction, and won. how is someone trying to scam you?

more than that, what the hell does his wifes accent have to do with anything?

i think we need more info than "i won the auction, agreed to COD, and no way is this tool getting my money".

-Mike

4. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Really, dude. COD is a safe way to do things. You don't get the bass unless cash is handed to the delivery guy. And he doesn't get his cash unless you get your bass. What's wrong with that? And his wife answering the phone is not such a strange thing. He may be the one with the job supporting his household. So he might be busy. Don't pass judgement unless you really actually get screwed, or you just escape being screwed.

5. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    As I read it, the seller agreed to a COD, but is now demanding money up front.

In any case, it doesn't belong here. Moved to Misc.

6. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I thought that auction was particularly funny when I first saw it... a "Must see" auction with no pics. A 0 feedback rating.

Um, no thanks.

7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Couldn't that just be change of circumstance or something - where is the evidence it is a scam? :confused:

Isn't it the case that the seller could now post a Non-Paying Bidder Alert and get Yamarc in trouble for breaking eBay's rules?

I'm asking - don't know..?

8. wingnutkj

wingnutkj

Mar 27, 2003
    Scotland
    Bruce - you're right, that could happen, but in this case, it looks like the auction might be a scam.

As far as I can see, Yamarc's complaint is not to do with the payment, but that the auction text is taken from BassNW's site ( http://www.bassnw.com/Special Order Basses/Basses/Fodera/fodera_emperor_elite_5_SM.htm ). The auction location is Waco, Texas, and the guy wants money sent to Illinois. Zero feedback seller. No photos. BassNW text. Different locations. Wouldn't touch it with a bargepole.

9. Bruce Lindfield

Right, that makes more sense - but what does Yamarc do about that - especially if the seller contacts eBay to post a Non-Paying Bidder Alert etc. etc. ?

Will eBay recognise it as a scam and will they do anything about it?

10. wingnutkj

wingnutkj

Mar 27, 2003
    Scotland
    I see that Yamarc's given the seller negative feedback - I hope that he's notified eBay's fraud squad about it as well. They seem to do a reasonably good job of chasing these things up and shutting down the fraudsters, although I've heard a mix of good and bad stories about them.

I don't think the scammer would bother with a non-paying bidder alert because it draws attention to them, but that's just IMO.

I've been lucky with eBay and have really never had any problems (except for losing 8 quid on a DVD that was never delivered), so I really don't know what they do about that side of things. Over to Yanmarc...

11. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Add to the fishyness, the phone number is a New York number.

12. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    Yeah, you see what I'm saying. Add up all these factors and it equals SCAM! Nothing is wrong with the wife answering the phone but the guy himself refused to call me and she would just tell me to send the money and then he would call. No Thanks! He agreed to COD but then wanted half the cash sent western union, yeah, okay!...He tried to sell the bass beofre the auction was over for 2300.00 (as someone graciously told after the auction was over) A fodera for 2300.00? smells like a scam to me, but I'll let ebay be the final judge on this. Thanks, MArc

13. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    thanks for explaining further.....makes sense now....at least you were smart enough to figure it out ahead of time....this could have been one of those "I got scammed on eBay, now what do I do?" threads.

-Mike

14. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    If they claim to be from Waco tell them you have a friend who'll inspect the bass for you. I'd be happy to. :D

brad cook

15. This guy had no previous history:

Unspoken ebay rule #1 - "NEVER bid more than $20 on anyone without an established ebay rating."

16. Bruce Lindfield

But they were highlighting on a UK TV consumer programme last night, that it's very easy to buy favourable feedback - so they found over a 100 auctions where people were offering favourable feedback for a small amount of money - less than £1!!

So - if you're a serious scammer - it's pretty easy to go and buy your history first and then scam people !! :meh:

17. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    I checked in on the user and they're trying to sell 4 tickets to Game 4 of the world series too. I sent a link to this thread to all the people who have bid.

BTW Yamarc, I see that they've called the police because YOU STOLE THEIR BASS!!!! Check out the windows and see if the SWAT team is in your bushes... :D

And I'm not trying to slam anyone or anything, but I thought COD was pretty much dead. Do people still do that? And if Yamarc did steal the bass, wouldn't that mean they sent it to him before recieving payment? I don't think ANYONE on ebay would EVER do that (let alone with a FODERA)!?!?!? I mean you take a chance as a buyer giving your money first, but you can always get your money back.

18. Bruce Lindfield

This was what worried me, when I first read this thread!

So - I'm no eBay expert - but surely, if you spot a scam, then the best idea is to stay away from the auction - not actually bid a large sum of money on it? As this commits you to pay under eBay's rules, doesn't it?

19. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    It's easier than that. Put something up for sale that nobody could possibly want and buy it from a second ID for next to nothing.

20. SciFiGuy

SciFiGuy

Dec 27, 2003
    Madison, IN
    Actually, the phone number only has 9 digits. Looks credible at first glance (must be on the level, they posted their phone number) but there's no way to call.

And it's different than the one for the Game 4 tickets. I don't know what the face value of the tickets are, but I think scalping laws are being broken. Plus the auction ends at 12:00 PDT day of game and the tickets are in Texas?