Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Eden 4-10 SLT

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ROCKBOBMEL_old, Aug 10, 2001.

1. I went on to BassCentral and saw the new cab.
    Then to Eden. It is shorter (One port on bottom), rated at 1000w, and used different drivers, and has a lower usable freq response.
    Has anyone tried one yet?

2. grooveguru

grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
    Do you mean the new XST cabinet? If so I read the review in Bass Player and they really liked them. Even compared it to an XLT cabinet. They said it was more defined sounding and rounder although the XLT has more punch and projection. I'd love to hear one myself. I just ordered a D-210XLT so I'm about to experience Eden 1st hand.

3. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Betcha you'll dig the D210XLT, groove. Best around, IMO. Love 'em alone for small restaurant gigs and stacked on a 15 or 410 for club work. Killer!

4. You are right- it is the D410 XST.

5. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    I've played the XST, and it's killer. Highly recommend it, lotsa bottom end, real punchy and defined. I've sold two of them (I work at Bass Central), and both customers love them. If you check the thread in Misc. on "Dream Rigs", you'll see my dream rig will have two of them. Can't think of a better sounding 410 box I've heard yet (heard some close ones though).

6. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    There was a discussion earlier about how Aguilar cabs and Eden cabs are very similar. Someone said that they are even made by the same manufacturer (Peavey). Supposedly Eden wanted the new XST to sound like Aguilar's GS410 cab. I have no idea how close to the truth that rumor is though.

7. MikeyD

MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    It makes one wonder why even bother to type it.
    - Mike

8. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    Cuz maybe someone else could shed more light on it.

9. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    My recollection is that that rumor was pretty decisively squashed a while back. The original poster apparently was just yanking our collective chain. There may be no more light to be shed.

10. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Uh huh. Someone said Jaco couldn't play. And that pigs ain't pork. Can you shed light on those rumors, too?

11. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    There is no light to shed on this "mystery".

Eden builds their own cabinets, end of story. I've played the Aguilar GS 410, it's good. I prefer the Eden D-410 XST by far though.

The idea that Peavey builds these cabs is pretty funny though. Mind you, I believe that Peavey makes some very good, and VERY underrated stuff (I use it myself, check my profile), but trust me, they DO NOT make anyone else's stuff - certainly not Eden's.

12. Nightbass

Nightbass

May 1, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    The fact that the two cabs look very similar shouldn't really be a surprise, anyway. There's only so many ways you can build a cab.

Let's say I were going to design a competing cab, the PhatHam F-410. My box would have to be 25x23x18.5 to fit the four Eminence woofers, and then since I want to tune it to 40Hz, the ports are going to be the same size and shape as those on the Eden and Aguilar. I'm not going to put them on the top as that would be tonal suicide, so the ports go on the bottom. I grab a tweeter from P.Audio and jackplate from Winthrop. Then I cover the box with black Ozite and use Re'An corners, handles and grille from PennTech, and so forth. When I'm done, the PhatHam F-410 just happens to look just like the Aguilar and Eden! Hmm....

Besides, bass players don't seem to want to go too far beyond the norm. A lot of people don't like Bag End's Deep Red color, or the gray and chrome of EBS. So mfrs just give us what we ask for.

Nightbass

13. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Actually, there's a school of thought that says it makes absolutely no difference where the ports are placed as long as they're the right size. See for example Andy Lewis's discussion of this, www.acmebass.com.

Also, I seem to recall a recent thread touched on this, but I don't recall whose it was.

14. Thanks Gard, you answered what I was looking for.
    MikeyD, Thanks, also. I am very confused though. Your Email and posts talk of the 4-10T. You, and others state that this cab is punchier and more solid lows than the 410 XLT. Now I tried this cab (410T) , and did not find it punchy. Richard L says that the port location does not matter.So says Andy Lewis.
    I disagree.
    I had a Low B-2. It sounded very good, but not punchy. Correct me if I'm wrong, but my idea of punchy is you feel the transients as they are played. It's air pressure, you know , smoke rings from a round port.
    I also have a 1-18 Sonic cab with an EV driver. It is the Theil desgn. It IS punchy, but very bottomy however.
    I have a 1-15 Musicman with a BW i it ( front scoup design), and it too is punchy. My 2 Hartke 4.5XLs were Theil design, and punchy.
    My Bose 901 stereo speakers (Rear firing) are NOT punchy.
    So please straighten me out on this. Am I missing something?

15. grooveguru

grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
    Gard being that you've played both the Aguilar and Eden stuff which one strikes your fancy. Plus you get to talk to all the players that come into Bass Central (Plug Plug). Is there a trend in the Orlando area? Which one does "Mickey" play?

16. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    Well, as I stated earlier, my favorite cab right now is the D 410XST, by far.

We sell more Eden stuff than anything else in the shop, both to the locals and via phone & internet sales. The Aguilar cabs are very good, as are the Bergantino ones, but the Eden seems to be the choice of most that come in and check them all out.
    Oh, and thanks for the chance to plug the day gig once again!!! ;) :D

17. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    I guess I wasn't around to read the rumor being squashed. Now I just feel like a fool.

Mr T in the background: "Ah pity the foo !!"

And for those gearheads: There's nothing like a new Hamp 1000 head to go with your Phat Ham F-410. Coming soon: Phat Ham F-115 and F-210 cabs!! And they're gonna look just like the Eden cabs.

18. MikeyD

MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    Okay. I think there is a problem of definition here. My belief is that most of us bassists regard "punchy" as a strong low-midrange presence centered at around 300-500 Hz. (others please comment on this). 10" drivers often excel in this range because of their frequency response characteristics, whereas 15" and 18" drivers tend not to perform quite as well.

The way you defined "punchy" differs: it involves not only transient attack, but the low frequency components of the transient - those things that cause 18" woofers to "jump when you thump". That's the stuff you feel from your speakers when you attack your strings. However, it is different from the common view of punchiness. It's more like "boominess".

My take on the situation is that wide-range cabinets, such as the Acme or the Eden 410XLT cabinets (and even moreso the 410 XST), won't be as punchy (using the *common* definition) as cabinets like the Carvin 410 or Eden 410-T, which is why I had suggested the latter. You told me that you sold your Eden 2x15, which indicated that you weren't after a really strong bottom and were more interested in midrange performance. So I'm confused, too! :) From all you've said here (and in e-mail), I think you are seriously missing your Hartke speakers, so maybe you should buy them again.

- Mike

BTW - I never meant to imply that the Eden 410-T had more solid lows than their XLT. Just the opposite. The 410-T seemed punchier, IMO, when I auditioned it, but it had a weaker bottom end.

19. I don't understand this, as this frequency range is far above the highest bass fundamental, and entirely into the harmonics. The 12th fret of the upper G string is 196 Hz, and I don't play anywhere close to that high up the neck.

20. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    Most of what you hear when you play bass is not the fundamental. If you look at the waveform of a bass (or any other instrument for that matter) it is very complex and contains many overtones. The different amounts of different overtones is what gives each instrument a different timbre, or its own unique sound. That is why many bass amps have eq that can cut or boost frequencies up into the thousands of hertz.

A good example of the punch that MikeyD is talking about is stereos. Not car audio or hifi stuff, but the kind of stereo that companies like Aiwa and Kenwood make that you would buy for your kid. A lot of these have "bass boost" buttons, that when you engage do no really boost the lowest of frequencies. What they are actually doing is boosting the low mid range, and making the sound punchier.