New Eden Nemesis Heads

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jpoprock, Jun 12, 2005.

1. jpoprock

Jun 7, 2005
    Kokomo, IN
    Has anyone played the new Eden Nemesis NA320 head yet?? The more powerful NA650 has some production issues and so the release of it as been pushed back.

I'm going to need a bass amp head soon. I'll probl need one by August. This is cool because I'll be working the ddrum booth at Summer NAMM and I'll be able to check out ALL this stuff! I'm going to take CASH with me and try to score something at a rock bottom deal too.

The missleading thing about the Nemesis line is, they tout the 320 as being 320W @ 4ohms. So one would assume the 650 was the same at 4ohms... but it's not. That is the 2 ohm wattage! Now, is it me... or do not many people play at 2ohms? Is that for any good reason other than not many heads will do 2ohms? My guess is, the 650 head will be 500W at 4ohms, which would be sufficient for me I think.

Also, I think that the look of that head is slightly funky looking w/ the purplish-blue, plus the bright blue glowing logo. I want a head that I can record to Pro Tools with, plug headphones into and practice, etc. But I would sacrifice the headphone thing if I had to. So, aside from looks, that Nemesis head has everything I want.

Other heads I'm thinking about are:

The Eden WT-405 and 550 (Max price range)
    Ashdown AVM500II

OR something else cool btwn $500-$850.

If you read the Harmony Central reviews, you'll see that for some reason the Eden heads don't get great marks sometimes.

And after nosing around here for a while, I'm now concerned that the Ashdown heads are unreliable. True?

Finally, after reading the faq, I decided that it would probl be best that I stay at or above the 500w mark. I'm going to buy two Avatar 8ohm cabs also, and depending on the need, will run one or both at the same time. But I'll save a question I have about that for another thread!

What do you guys think?

2. I've tried out the new Nemesis320 at Low Down Sound a few times with a number of different basses (Mtd, Sadowsky, Celinder). I was very pleasantly surprised at how good it sounded given the price (using the nemesis410). Very punchy, with plently of lows and sizzle if you want it. It's very cool looking and does have that 'Eden' sound. For the price, it has to be one of the best deals out there. I don't know anything about the reliability of this line, but it sounded great.

PS I agree with you on the 2ohm thing... seems like a cheap way for an amp company to tout high wattage. EBS does the same thing.... their 350 is 350 into 4ohms, but the 650 doesn't hit it's maximum power unless it's run into a 2ohm load. :meh:
  3. my peavey can run a 2 ohm load

and my SVT II can run a 2 ohm load, but no matter what the SVT II is always the same output

i think 2 ohm load running amps are useful, cus you can buy an amp with a single 4 ohm cab, and not be thinking about upgrading at that time, but later down the line if you decide you want another cab you can just add another 4ohm one
  4. jpoprock

Jun 7, 2005
    Kokomo, IN
    Cool. Bassnw has the best price I've found on the NA320 at $399 plus shipping.

Anyone else?

5. Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    I have an older NC200 combo, and the Nemesis amp is just beautiful. Great sounding amps, if I had the money I wouldn't hesitate to get one of the heads and an Avatar cab or two. The amps can do just about any sound you want.
  6. I agree having an amp that can run down to a 2ohm load is 'useful'... I just don't like companies that play games with it, since most players will run an 8 or 4 ohm load. Tube heads are a totally other issue... where ohmage matching makes this whole thing a moot point.

I like EA's approach... the call their largest amp the iAmp800 because it puts out 800 watts in the typical 4ohm load. It will put out 1000 watts in 2ohms, but the company realizes (I assume) that this would be an unlikely situation for most players. So, kudo's to EA and shame on the EBS650!
  7. Ill agree there that alot of it is just advertising lingo to big up something more than it is, but most people will look into the fuller specs and not just whats printed on the box
  8. bohemond

Nov 3, 2007
    Thanks for the tip on this place. They have great deals.
  9. I had it with the NC212 Combo (Remember the dude that shipped it to me with an innertube).

If it hadn't gotten beat up in shipping I would have kept it. It sounded pretty darn good and when I cracked it open to fix the combo the workmanship was top notch.