Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Eden vs. Not-so-new Eden

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by millard, Jan 8, 2005.

1. millard

millard

Jul 27, 2004
    SoCal
    I'm shopping some Eden cabs and have found both new and used available. The used ones seem to be D-Zyy models while the newer ones are D-Zyy XLT.

Did much change between the pre-XLT and the XLT generation such that I should be spending the extra money? I couldn't detect a difference in how well they sounded (but I was also in a small store and couldn't try them out at "stage" volume). The only obvious difference was that the older cabs don't have speakon connectors.

Thanks...Millard

2. The XLT were designed to handle more power and that's where you will hear the tonal differences.
    Personally, (and I'm pretty sure I'm in the minority here) I've tried all the Eden cabs and still prefer my old D410T.

3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    Zyy? i'm guessing that's liek an algebraic variable. i belive XL stands for extra low or extended lows. T just means tweeter. Before 1993 or so you could get a 410t (the original cab), 210t (which had front vents and had a bit better bass response) and the 115 or 115t. they also made a 15+10+tweeter cab. The 1st XL cab was the 410XLT. the speakers were designed to have higher power handling and increased bass response. The 410XLT sounds a lot like the 201T. The 210XLT had the same XL drivers from the 410 but had more vents per driver so it had even more lows/low mids. Later came the 210XLT, 115XLT, etc.

I've owned the 410T and the 210XLT and tried them all. like UY, i prefer the 410t/SWR goliath 1 and goliath 2. The other 10" cabs have more lows and low mids, but don't seem as tight. Actually the 210T is pretty cool, as is the old goliath jr 1 and 2. If i were to ever get some used eden or swr cabs those are the ones i'd consider. FWIW, eden still makes the 410T and 210T.

4. Some interesting info there. I think my reason for sticking with the D410T is the rear ports. So far I haven't found a front vented cab that has the same tight low end. I've always thought that vented air is just negative cone movement, and that there is little sonic advantage, other than an increase in volume. Just my Canadian $.02