New Eden WT 330 Time Traveller amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jacochops, Mar 15, 2005.

1. jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Suzhou, China
    Hey all,
    Anyone here have one? I actually sold my Mesa Walkabout for this...I liked the Walkabout's flat tone, but the EQ is simply too powerful for what I'd like to achieve tonally.
    The 330 Eden has a solid state design, and I've had a Eden 400 watt traveler with a tube pre, which I did like. I have a lead on an Eden WT 300 with a tube pre, as well as the WT 330 (solid state)I asked Eden's customer service if they had a choice, which would they buy....their response was the 330 due to upgrades that they made in the performance of the head. I loved my WW head, and I'm hoping that this head will put me closer to what I'm looking for.

Anyone here have any input? Munji? Tombowlus? Beuller?
  2. ErikP.Bass

ErikP.Bass Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2004
    I have had one for about two and a half years and really love it. I play through a single Eden CXM 112 and am really satisfied with the sound I get. The only thing I have even considered changing was the cabinet the reason being in one word - Bergantino.

I personally, never really got hung up on the tube - solid state issue. I just could never hear the difference with bass. I may be crazy but it only seemed to make a difference with guitar distortion for me. This said, I don't use any effects and don't play overdriven at all. I play mostly blues/jazz/reggae and I find the setup I have great for a clean, warm, dare I say "classic" bass tone. I run the amp basically flat with the enhance at about 9 o'clock.

If I may with regard to the above, also point out that there is a warm switch, which engages the "positive half wave tube style distortion circuit" essentially a gain boost, and also a small warm trim which adjusts the level of the effect. I generally have this on as well with the trim set as it was when I recieved the amp.

Give a read through the manual as well if you haven't already.

Here is a jump. :hyper:

Hope this helps.
  3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Sorry, man, but I haven't played the WT-330. I have a WT-300 which is fantastic, but I just don't know much about their solid state stuff. I did play a CXC 1510 in Las Vegas a few years ago, and really liked the tone. I've got a hunch that they try to voice the SS amps as close as possible to the tube pre-amp. I don't hear much tube in the WT-300 anyway.
  4. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Well, I went hunting for a WT-330 a while back, and I did get to hear the Time Traveler 10 Combo, which of course employs this head. I did like the sound, in general, but I was far more impressed with the Walkabout, and went that route, instead. So, I guess I am not much help, here.

If I were to look for a new compact Eden head, I would put the WT-550 at the top of my list...