1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New Effects/Effect Types

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Sir Edward V, Jun 1, 2007.

1. Sir Edward V

Sir Edward V Not Actually Knighted... Yet!

Dec 11, 2006
    Massachusetts
    I was just thinking to myself: why should I use the same effects that have been around for years? Aren't there new things I should be investing my interest in?

So, does anyone know of some crazy new effects that create some sound unthought of before? Or is everyone just working on improving the old?

2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

You will find many expensive and "new" effects that are nothing but noise boxes, mostly unusable to create music.
    Some novelties are really interesting though.
    Zvex's MAchine distortion is really interesting. It goes through any effect pedal prety much unaffected. It can lead to really interesting combinations.
    The step sequencer off the Korg AX-3000B isn't a completely new idea but they brought it to a new level. It can make completely new sounds even used with the most common effects.

3. Sir Edward V

Dec 11, 2006
    Massachusetts
    thanks for reminding me of zvex, i just saw their videos demonstrating their "probe" series, those look tight!!

4. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    Moog has plenty of off-the-wall "new" effects, like the Bass MuRF, Ring Modulator, and the upcoming FreqBox. Check out their pedals, but beware their hefty price tags! EHX Has a couple of unusual pedals here and there, too, like the Frequency Analyzer and the Tube Zipper.

And let's not forget the boutique builders! If you want to delve into the wild, weird, "noisier" realms of effects, check out some of the stuff by ZVex and Death By Audio.

There's more, but that should get you started. :smug:

I think you'll find that more non-traditional effects nowadays are usually boutique items.

5. tbone409

tbone409

Feb 17, 2007
    kenosha, wi
    gig fx chopper is pretty interesting looking

6. NEVER forget about their FM box! :ninja:

7. Sir Edward V

Dec 11, 2006
    Massachusetts
    not really looking for noise, but the Zvex stuff looks cool

8. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    I guess the question is what can you do to a sine wave that isn't being done already? Most things I've seen recently are either combinations of old effect types or slightly upgraded ones.

9. Sir Edward V

Dec 11, 2006
    Massachusetts
    exactly

10. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Lakewood, OH
    have you checked out the tube zipper? it looks interesting. and if it gets george clintons approval, that thing must be full o the funk.

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 21, 2021