1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New EHX Bass9 Bass Machine

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Michael Vee, Aug 8, 2019.

1. Michael Vee

Michael Vee Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    I got an email from EHX this morning announcing their new Bass9 Bass Machine pedal. Very interesting! It will be marketed to guitarists who want to play bass lines on their guitar, especially with looping, but I find the possibility of using this pedal for bass intriguing.

What all does it do?
    • 1-2 sub-octaver
      2 Synth types (Taurus pedals, TB-303)
      Fretless effect
    • Bowing effect
    • P-bass, Danelectro emulation
    • Virtual: Claims to "adjust the bass’s body density and neck length"
    "Controls 1 and 2 have been designed to adjust specific parameters for each of the nine programs. For example, in PRECISION, CTRL 1 controls the sub-octaves while CTRL 2 imitates the original instrument’s tone control."

Looks like it could at least be a very fun toy, but also there could be some really useful tones in this thing when combining with the dry signal. If it works well with 6+ string basses, there is a lot those players could do with this.

No word from Sweetwater yet on when it's expected, but EHX usually doesn't announce too far out from shipping.

Sweetwater Link

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 8, 2019
    Tommy V and scottm like this.
  2. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    Excellent. Thanks for posting.

Michael Vee likes this.
    P-oddz and Michael Vee like this.
  4. Real Soon

Real Soon

Aug 15, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    I have to admit, the Split Bass setting #7 is potentially genius if it can really be implemented with that much stability. Something tells me that not every pickup setting or configuration, nor every set of strings or playing method, will work with it, but it's still quite cool.

& separate wet/dry outputs could make for interesting uses with my 7-string mutant bass...

stambroker likes this.
  5. Michael Vee

Feb 3, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    @mannysilvers - What's the word on the Bass Machine? You had to have been involved with developing it.. how well do you like it with bass?

humboldtharris likes this.
  6. mannysilvers

mannysilvers Commercial User

Jun 20, 2009
    NYC
    Engineer, Electro-Harmonix
    I was actually not involved in developing this one at all, but my understanding is it's really not designed for bass, if you were to plug a bass in it'd be a whole octave lower.

steelbed45, Michael Vee and scottm like this.
  7. Michael Vee

Feb 3, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Manny, is the front end processing of this pedal a sub-octaver taking everything down an octave since guitars are up an octave? That would not be the best thing, you're right.

For most bass players, anyway.. but there are some progressives out there who can put this thing to use.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2019
  8. Jebberz

Jebberz Supporting Member Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2012
    Quebec city
    Could be the perfect companion to a Wing bass.

mikewalker and Michael Vee like this.
  9. Now do the Guitar9 Guitar Machine

10. Another hit for EHX in their 9 Series! There are some great tones and for six string players or for anyone that ever plays piccolo bass and needs to switch back in a tune it could offer possibilities to really use it in a stage setting. As a studio tool having access to all those tones would also be a real value.

Michael Vee likes this.
  11. Michael Vee

Feb 3, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Real Soon and Jebberz.. there are applications for the Bass Machine- you guys are thinking ahead.

Real Soon likes this.
  12. Michael Vee

Feb 3, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Someone needs to do the Wing+Bass Machine pairing..
    Boy, that's so untraditional. Good lord. Definitely not P Bass and SVT stuff! Ha..
    But wild modern bass design and the Bass Machine could be cutting-edge.

Wing Classic

[​IMG]

mikewalker and scottm like this.
  13. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    If you really wanted to use it as an effect for a bass player, you could send your signal through a Xover and remove all the frequencies you don't need, then send it into the Bass 9. The fretless and bowed effects sound useful. But this would extend your capabilities as a bass player, if you had a guitar mounted on a performer walk up stand. Particularly doubling up with guitar on something difficult.

14. LSMFT6

LSMFT6 We brake for nobody Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2006
    California
    None

Would buy

15. JohnArnson

JohnArnson

May 28, 2019
    They got to do this, I'd probably buy it.

Though so far all EHX's 9 pedals have only been able to track properly down to the open A of a 4 string bass, so they would need to change whatever tracking algorithm, or however that works, they use for these pedals in order for it to work properly for bass, but I am sure that is totally within their capability.

At least Boss seems to be able to do that, judging from their new SY-1.

16. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

Well, that’s just great. Every half-assed guitarist is now enabled even further to “play bass like a guitar”. And you were complaining how keyboard players take your gig away with their left hands? Right...

petrus61 likes this.
  17. CyberSnyder

CyberSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    I Endorse Alien Audio Basses
    Nah, doesn't look like much of any interest to me. I just want a Bass->Moog pedal, no pitch shift or octave down, just note for note Moog sounds.

18. callofcthulhu

callofcthulhu

Oct 16, 2012
    Wow this sounds like total ass.

The Key/Mel/Syn/C 9's were all super impressive, not sure what went wrong here.

The bowed cello is kind of cool I guess...and maybe 1 or 2 of the synth patches...but if they're asking over $200 like the rest of the 9's, this looks pretty DOA to me.

19. Michael Vee

Feb 3, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Heard from Sweetwater just now, they will get the Bass9s in sometime late next week (Aug. 12-18).

scottm likes this.
  20. CyberSnyder

CyberSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    I Endorse Alien Audio Basses
    Maybe if you have a hand injury and need to play a very low tension piccolo-strung bass?