1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New Electronics For My 6

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by TheEmptyCell, Aug 2, 2005.

1. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast Supporting Member

Jul 16, 2005
    Hancock, MI
    Hey gang. I've asked this question elsewhere, but I didn't get much of a helpful response, but since this subforum is all about pickups, I figure I'll give it another go.

My Ibanez SR506 has a set of Bartolini pickups and 3-band EQ. It sounds great for the most part, but when I venture into the low end, it gets really muddy. It's not my amp, and I've done just about everything with my EQ. I know Barts are notoriously dark.

I'm not exactly looking for a bright pickup, but I want something more aggressive and that won't get muddy in the low-end. It's mainly when I get down to the E and B that things get hairy. It's definitely the electronics.

I was thinking of putting in some EMG DCs and a 3 band EMG EQ. But what do you guys suggest? I've thought about rewiring it all passive, but what other choices do I have? New pickups? New preamp? Both?

2. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast Supporting Member

Jul 16, 2005
    Hancock, MI
    Bump. Anyone?

3. C-5KO

C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Soapbar pickups? You could try a series/parallel or coil tap switch.

You could try brighter strings first. It may save you some money.