Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Electronics For My 6

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by TheEmptyCell, Aug 2, 2005.

1. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2005
    Syracuse, NY
    Hey gang. I've asked this question elsewhere, but I didn't get much of a helpful response, but since this subforum is all about pickups, I figure I'll give it another go.

My Ibanez SR506 has a set of Bartolini pickups and 3-band EQ. It sounds great for the most part, but when I venture into the low end, it gets really muddy. It's not my amp, and I've done just about everything with my EQ. I know Barts are notoriously dark.

I'm not exactly looking for a bright pickup, but I want something more aggressive and that won't get muddy in the low-end. It's mainly when I get down to the E and B that things get hairy. It's definitely the electronics.

I was thinking of putting in some EMG DCs and a 3 band EMG EQ. But what do you guys suggest? I've thought about rewiring it all passive, but what other choices do I have? New pickups? New preamp? Both?

2. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2005
    Syracuse, NY
    Bump. Anyone?

3. C-5KO

C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Soapbar pickups? You could try a series/parallel or coil tap switch.

You could try brighter strings first. It may save you some money.