New Electronics what do I need to know?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Spaniel97, Feb 9, 2019.

1. Spaniel97

Spaniel97

Feb 9, 2019
    I have an old Cort GB4A that I have been playing for 10 years. I love the feel of the bass and prefer the sound to any Ibenez or squire bass that I have played. The electronics have been giving me problems for some time and it has reached the point where I have to replace the preamp.

Seeing as I have a special affection for this bass I have decided to upgrade the pick ups and preamp rather than getting a nee bass as my friends have suggested.

I am looking to spend about $500

Looking around Delano has really cought my eye. But they don't appear to have any dealers in South Africa

Is there anything that I need to be aware of or watch out for. This will be my first time modifying a bass.

I am looking to do the upgrade around April so I have time to consider my options

Sorry if this post is longer than necessary

2. funkinbottom

funkinbottom Gold Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2006
    Northern CA.
  3. James Collins

James Collins Guest

Mar 25, 2017
    1) Not all pickups are the same size. A larger pickup will need a new route. A smaller pickup will not fill in the route. You may need to adjust mounting screws.

2) Not all preamps have the same controls. For example, if you go from a 2 band EQ to a 3 band EQ, you may need extra holes or stacked pots. Going in reverse can mean coming up with a solution for the extra holes.

3) The preamp may have different recommendations for the types of pot you need. As with anything you can customize this some.

4) Not all pots are the same size. If you have Asian pots, as I assume you will, and you replace them to a western brand, the hole will be too small. If you are doing your own work, a reamer is the proper tool to increase the size. You can use a drill, but it risks tearing the wood. Also, not all pots or switches are the same thickness. If you put in a stacked push/pull pot, it may not fit in your cavity depth.

5) If you are doing the work yourself, buy a quality soldering iron and practice on some junk first. Watch some tutorials.