Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New electronics?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Plain Old Me, Dec 14, 2005.

1. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    So I have a Traben Phoenix 5, and I absolutely love it. However, I have been having issues with the electronics, and although I liked the electronics it came with, I would like to try out some new electronics and see what tones I can get. The Traben basically comes with a J style pup in the neck and MM style pup near the bridge. I need something to fill up the knobs: volume, pup blend, and 3 band EQ. What do you recommend? I am looking for something that can get good fingerstyle tone along with some brightness for slapping and popping. I play metal, funk, and rock mostly.

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    EMG could be a way to go.

3. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    While I like EMG pickups, I've never been particularly enamored with their preamps. Of course, this is all about taste, so there's no point in debating... just another opinion.

People seem to be pretty high on the Demeter 3-band preamp, as well as the Aguilar OBP-3. If you're willing to drill holes for switches, that opens up your options a bit more, to include a U-Retro.

4. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I could probabally make a hole for a switch, depending on what kind of switch it is. I am NOT replacing pups, and anything that I have tried that is EMG (which would be pups on other basses) I simply do not like.

5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Gotta be honest, when you try to "fill up the knobs," as you put it, you usually end up with functions that fill up the knobs and nothing else. Rather than looking for a smorgasbord of tones, you would be better served by deciding what is lacking and trying to find the electronics to serve what you're looking for.

6. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    +1

7. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I suppose I could just jeave a pot in there connected to nothing :p . Really, I want something that sounds warm but works well for both fingerstyle and slapping and popping. The knobs don't really matter all that much, as long as i don't have too many of em. Making a hole in that bridge is just asking for trouble!