Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New electronics

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Yorkiebassist, Jan 15, 2006.

1. Yorkiebassist

Yorkiebassist

Dec 20, 2005
    OK I've decided I want new electroncis in my Euro LX, and was wondering what the best options would be. I could get some new actives, or go the passive route. The kind of tones I like are fat, jazzy fingertones(think AAF's version of Smooth Criminal), and growly picktones(think Outlaw Torn by Metallica). What configuration would best get this kind of sound? Cheers.

2. Yorkiebassist

Yorkiebassist

Dec 20, 2005
    Somebody must be able to help me...........

3. I like DiMarzio Ultra Jazz pickups. They have a well-defined, strong tone. I have these installed to my fretless, very sharp tone :) Although I haven't tried, lots of people use EMG active soapbars for the tone you want.

4. Yorkiebassist

Yorkiebassist

Dec 20, 2005
    I hadn't thought of DiMarzio, thanks for that suggestion I'll investigate it further. As for people getting the tone I want with EMG soapbars, that is true, could I just need a new pre?

5. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

I'd look into whatever guys are playing that have basses that put out that tone pro or locally - better locally cause who knows what pro's are really playing. Pups are the beginning of the signal chain so that's a start. You can also talk to and check out the rigs of local guys, see what controls they're using, and maybe make a valuable contact otherwise. Gives you a reason to meet another player and who doesn't want to talk bass with someone who likes their tone.

Shape of a pup is only one indication of what the tone MAY be, and you can throw that out the window with J's and soaps. I've had actives that sound like passives and passives that sound like actives. It's a lot easier and faster to find a bass that puts out the tone you want (unless you live in the sticks) and get those pups than speculating about what might be.

6. Yorkiebassist

Yorkiebassist

Dec 20, 2005
    There's only one guy round here that has a tone anywhere near what I like(and it's pretty much what I have already), mainly due to the fact he has a 2K Status and always uses his amps DI(which soudns a lot better than going through some crappy DI box). The ironic thing is, he saw my band play and came running up saying how nice my bass sounded(it was my warwick). My tone now is pretty decent, but I'd still like to hone it more to make it more the tone I hear in my head(if that makes sense!).

7. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    Why do you feel that your preamp/pickups need to be replaced? What's wrong with them as is?

8. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

nothing unusual about that but hearing it in your head and getting it out of the cone are two different things and a change can as easily be less of what you had in mind. Even with research and store trials, who hasn't bought some Top Players Award piece only to be disappointed by the results after they've had it a month.

Even quality tone gets old after a while so everyone's always looking for something different. That and there's so much stuff out there that there's always a stone to be turned.