1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New Elixir String Trial??

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by GK Growl, Apr 1, 2013.

1. GK Growl

GK Growl Banned

Dec 31, 2011
    Anyone else doing this? Got an email from Elixir a couple of weeks ago about a new string trial for nickel plated sets in gauges 105 - 45. The strings arrived on March 29th with a log sheet for 10 weeks or 60 hours of playing time whichever comes first. I was a little surprised as I already participated in their trial awhile back for what has become the new stainless steel sets. Also, I already thought the nickel plated sets had been reveamped so I don't know if this is something new or Elixir just trying to get me to buy the revamped nickel plated strings (FWIW, I didn't care for the stainless sets at all so maybe that's why they are trying this).

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Why don't they let you just choose the gauges you want instead of sticking you with the common gauge? I did that last Elixir thing and had to force myself to play that bass over that 10 weeks because of the gauges.

3. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    I think you just answered your question sir :)

4. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Ya, I guess I did. I suppose it's not easy to do a run of prototype strings in my wuss gauges when almost everyone uses a 45 set.

5. tylerwylie

tylerwylie

Jan 5, 2008
    Dunwoody, GA
    I know, got a bass with a set of Slinkies on it, 130-100-80-65-45.. I like how the 100, 80 feel but the 65 is way too tight.

6. GK Growl

GK Growl Banned

Dec 31, 2011
    So no one else is participating in a trial for Elixir right now? Strange...

7. Dominic DeCosa

Dominic DeCosa Habitual Line-Stepper Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 9, 2008
    Vero Beach, Florida
    DiCosimo Audio
    I did the last trial, but I haven't heard anything about this one. Is there a way to sign up?

8. GK Growl

GK Growl Banned

Dec 31, 2011
    Not sure. They sent me an email with a link and I answered it, submitted it and they sent the strings. I'm not crazy about the strings. Very plastic feeling and sounding so far.

9. brenner182

brenner182

Apr 24, 2010
    Maryland
    i did one like two years ago, and i never gave them the string back. Breaking the lawwww :bassist::bassist:

10. sigmafloyd

sigmafloyd

May 1, 2011
    Is it still open for signup?

11. southsidebass

southsidebass Banned

Mar 25, 2013
    Oak Lawn, IL
    I did the trial like 2 years ago. The Elixirs do last a LONG time, but their sound takes some getting used to. I like 'em on my Lakland 5502. Good b-string tone for sure!