Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Email Scam

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by rfalter, May 20, 2005.

1. rfalter

rfalter

Jul 20, 2004
    Pasadena, MD
    I suspect that many of us here use PayPal. I have recently started receiving emails that claim to be from Paypal informing me that I have added an additional email address to use my account. I should follow the link and correct/verify the information or they will be forced to suspend my account.

This is a complete SCAM. DO NOT FOLLOW the link. This one almost got me as I had recently changed my email address for my Paypal account. If you have any doubt, log into PP directly (from a new browser window) and verify your profile info.

I consider myself fairly computer savvy and this one almost got me. I thought I should warn other PayPal users. The message looks "real".

2. got one from paypal and ebay, I just delete this junk along with the Nigerian, Canadian, UK, etc. moneygram scam.

3. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    Your best bet is to NEVER sign in from ANY email you get from ebay or Paypal. Just about any deals you get from Paypal will have a code to enter where you sign in and then use it after you're already in and certainly don't require any confirmation of your address, SS#, password, etc. If you get suspended from ebay it'll say so in great big red letters after you log in.

4. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Actually this is an OLD email scam. Still dangerous, but its been around as long as paypal has.

5. gilbert46

gilbert46

Sep 21, 2004
    Sacramento, CA
    those are tricky. I read this email and thought to myself, what kind of a dumba... would fall for an email scam. ummm.... me..... I had to quickly change my password once i realized what had happened. They used some sort of a proxy so that the link on the top bar still said paypal.com. I noticed after I had finished the redirect address on the bottom left of my browser wasnt loading from paypal addresses........

Watch out !

never enter a password unless you type the URL in yourself.

6. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    I got it today, almost fooled me also, because the link seemed good.
    But I received it on my hotmail address and on paypal I am with my ISP address...

7. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Scams are something the world really could use a lot less of today. I have to spend whole days, aiding Nigerian scammer's trying to convince unsuspecting businesses that they're deaf and want to buy large quantities of just about everything under the sun.

~Patrick

8. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    My mother actually got taken by a PayPal scam. One of the emails that says that you need to verify your address and what not. The weird thing is that at first, she tried to go into her PayPal account manually (typing in the URL etc..) but her account was blocked for some reason, meaning it already got hacked in. Her mistake was when she went back and clicked on the link.

Her credit card wound up getting charged a few $$$ from 2 transactions in mexico. The lousy thing is that PayPal acted like there was no problem and didn't even really seem too concerned about it and at first wouldn't let her shut down her own account. They even denied that her account was blocked to begin with.

9. Paypal themselves say to every member "We don't ask you and will never ask you to follow links. You will be asked to log into your account to handle any account issues". They have sent out countless emails warning of scams and have explained their policy on this. So now that everyone knows that any email asking you to follow a link is bogus, why do you guys still get fooled or "almost" fooled by these things? :confused:

10. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Well, some people are just inexperienced. My mother had only been really actively using the internet and PayPal for a few weeks, and didn't know about these types of scams.

11. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    This is referred to as a "phishing" scam. Hackers hijack a legitimate web server with security holes and set up the scam site. They then mass mail phony emails with links to the site. Once someone enters their account info, it is captured and sent to the hackers. If you get one of these, forward to spoof@ebay.com (for ebay or paypal) or try to find a security contact for the company or send to the FBI. The quicker they get these, the better chance of tracing and shutting the site down. Do NOT click on the links, they are also conduits for malware installs on your PC. If you did, run Spybot, Ad-Aware and Hijack This to try to remove any stuff installed on your PC. These are often run by the Russian Mob and other really bad people. :bag:

12. 4string, I understand how these scams net the inexperienced like your mother. They are getting more and more sophisticated every day. I just got one of the more elaborate ones just today with more bells and whistles than I've ever seen. I'm talking about the more experienced users like gilbert that clicked on a link even after having some idea that it could be bogus. If someone has been on ebay or Paypal for awhile, they've gotten a warning about this because those two sites send them out about every 30 or 60 days. If the recipients of these scams have gone so far as to read the bogus emails with such interest, why haven't the legit ones been digested with as much zeal?

13. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Scammers generally get their addresses by people who publicly post them. Such as guestbooks, forums, etc. If you see a post on a guestbook or forum, with the words, mugu or guymen, that is a scammer marking their territory, and all the posted addresses on that page have been collected for potential scammers.

Check out 419eater.com.

~Patrick

14. rfalter

rfalter

Jul 20, 2004
    Pasadena, MD
    I had recently added a new address to my account ... the coincidence of receiving MY FIRST email of this type was suspicious. I see these types of messages frequently and normally just delete them. Just giving a heads up for anyone who might have missed "We don't ask you and will never ask you to follow links. You will be asked to log into your account to handle any account issues".