Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New EMG "Musicman" pickup--anyone try this?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by The Thinker, Aug 23, 2004.

1. The Thinker

The Thinker Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    ...and before you tell me not to do it: No, I'm not going to replace a PUP in a Stingray or Sterling!

I'm curious about the new ESP Surveyor II. It has An EMG P in the neck position and a new "MM/J" type near the bridge. This pickup apparently can switch between double-coil and single-coil.

I'm curious about how the "MM" config. sounds. Does it sound like any other EMG pickup? Does it sound like an actual Ernie Ball, only more "EMG-ish?" :help:

Thanks! :)

2. The Thinker

Sep 17, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    How 'bout now? [bump]

3. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Im guessing its just their old pickups in MM sized housings. Dont they have the J, P, DC, TW, and CS designations?

4. The Thinker

Sep 17, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks for the reply :)

I hadn't thought that it might just be one of their old pickups in a new housing. Could be, I guess. Although it's switchable from double to single coil, and I don't think their older pickups had this feature.

5. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    The TW does.

I have one in my new bass thats being delivered soon.

6. The Thinker

Sep 17, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Ah. I looked at the web site. It could be the combo of a CS and J pickup in a MM housing.

Do you happen to know how close that pickup (CS) sounds to a stock Musicman?

7. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    The CS is just a designation for their pickups that means they are loaded with ceramic and steel instead of the standard magnets. Its supposed to make for a warmer sound.

EMGs dont sound like MM pickups... at all.

8. The Thinker

Sep 17, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Hey, thanks for all your help :)