1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New England Music?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by SPAZ5446, Sep 27, 2010.

1. SPAZ5446

SPAZ5446

Aug 25, 2010
    Massachusetts
    I live on the North Shore, MA, and was just wondering what genres of music originated or were really big around New England? I know hard rock was big around here (Aerosmith, Boston, ect.) and more recently finding out ska as well (Mighty Mighty Bosstones, The Toasters, A LOT of local ska bands). Also heard that post punk and hardcore have roots in New England. I'm sure if I searched the internet long enough I'd find something about this, but I just want to hear other peoples opinions on this.

2. Paul Revere and the Raiders?

Newport and Hartford Jazz scene is original and strong...

Room Full of Blues from RI is kinda unique.

James Taylor

Bonnie Raitt was schooled here I think.

3. laboitenoire

laboitenoire

Jul 5, 2006
    Metalcore and its outgrowths are HUUUUGE in New England. Hatebreed (CT), Aftershock, and Overcast were the old ones (Hatebreed is still doing quite well) and Aftershock and Overcast shuffled in a few new characters and eventually created Shadows Fall, Killswitch Engage and All That Remains. Tons of other bands have spawned from these, including The Acacia Strain, Vanna, and many others.

A lot of metal artists consider New England (especially Central MA) to be a second home, because our shows are insane from a fan perspective. I mean just look at the New England Metal and Hardcore festival... And the Palladium is one of the venues to play.

All the anger probably arises from growing up in the Springfield/Westfield area :D

4. change-jug

change-jug

Oct 11, 2008
    Buffalo,NY
    Converge.

5. TimK

TimK

May 27, 2007
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland
    Phish got their start in Burlington, VT in the 80's.
    They play a lot in VT, CT, MA and upstate NY. In fact I think they just had a show at Fenway earlier this year.
    I think there is still a pretty good "jam band" scene in that area, although I have never been there.

6. audiophile21

audiophile21

Jan 19, 2010
    Boston
    I'm from the north shore too, some of my favorite bands that got there start in new england are:
    Blood for Blood
    J Geils Band
    God Forbid
    Municipal Waste (not 100% sure about that 1)
    All That Remains
    Killswich Engage
    Diecast (i actually know the guitarist :bassist:)
    Shadows Fall

and the ones you already posted
    keep it heavy,
    Bryan

7. arbitrary

arbitrary Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Boston, MA
    This.

add Cave in as well.

8. doktorfeelgood

doktorfeelgood layin' it down like pavement

Blues is very popular in New England.....at least here in Rhode Island it is. :bassist::D )-(

9. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Inactive

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    Not to mention Isis, Ocean, Conifer, and Ogre. Portland's got a killer doom scene.

(And Godsmack, but we won't talk about that...)

There's a huge Jam Band scene in New England, especially in Vermont.

It seems that New England has spawned at least a few top tier bands in most musical genres.

10. Reaper Man

Reaper Man

Jan 15, 2010
    MA
    ahh yes, the "Getladium"

Since we're not talking about Godsmack, you can add Nullset (thanks for the correction Lexicon) (formerly Gangster Bitch Barbie- too bad they got the cease and desist from Mattel)

11. ebonalley

ebonalley

May 17, 2010
    Don't forget New Kids on the Block :)

12. dalkowski

dalkowski Supporting Member

May 20, 2009
    Massachusetts USofA
    Start with the Modern Lovers, with Jonathan Richman (the pride of Natick MA), David Robinson, Jerry Harrison and Ernie Watts. Get your mitts on "The Modern Lovers" album NOW. Then go out and find "The Real Kids" by The Real Kids.

From New London CT, there's the Reducers, pub-rocking as hard as ever, more than 30 years since first making the scene.

From Newport, RI: Throwing Muses.

Boston had a sick hardcore scene in the mid-eighties with Jerry's Kids, DYS, Gang Green, the F.U.s and a slew of others on TAANG! records. But if you really want to trace hardcore's roots you have to go south to DC and west to LA.

Also the most important band ever (ask any critic), Mission of Burma.

More great 80s/90s Boston pop and rock: LINT, Neighborhoods, Slughog, Spore, Milkmoney, Victory at Sea, 27, The Dambuilders, Slaves, Del Fuegos, Lemonheads, Zulus, Human Sexual Response, Surficide, Seks Bomba, Dogzilla, Cavedogs, Stompers, Rattlers, Lou Miami & the Kosmetix, Rick Berlin, Willie Alexander....

More currently, the PIXIES!!!!! AM Stereo, Passion Pit, Dresden Dolls...

Doesn't look like anyone mentioned Staind, from Springfield MA.

And don't forget the Cars.

13. RHFusillo

RHFusillo Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2000
    Phoenix, AZ
    In the mid 1960's, The Remains were big in the Boston area. They played ass-kicking rock and roll for the time and were part of the last Beatles tour. Barry Tashian, the singer and guitarist, later played with Gram Parsons and Emmylou Harris.

14. mid_life_crisis

mid_life_crisis

Jul 8, 2010
    From the sixties, The Standells had the Boston theme song. Love That Dirty Water.

Frustrated women, have to be in by 12 o'clock.
    But I'm wishin and a hopin
    That just once those doors weren't locked.

15. BassFace55

BassFace55

Sep 22, 2005
    Boston
    The Cars
    The Stompers
    Duke and the Drivers
    Johnathan Richman and the modern Lovers
    Jon Butcher Axis
    The Atlantics

16. BassFace55

BassFace55

Sep 22, 2005
    Boston
    lots of good blues in Boston!!!!

17. nukes_da_bass

nukes_da_bass Inactive

Feb 19, 2006
    west suburban boston
    Paul Revere and the Raiders were an Idaho band that became an Oregon band and were at the top of the Pacific Northwest charts before they had national success.
    If this were fantasy football, however, Id trade you Donna Summer (from Mission Hill, Boston) for Paul Revere and the Raiders! :)

18. Boot Soul

Boot Soul

Feb 10, 2009
    Sonic Youth

19. dalkowski

dalkowski Supporting Member

May 20, 2009
    Massachusetts USofA
    Ummm....

no.

But there's Come, who just played a reunion show.

Prime Movers. Dogmatics. Titanics, Satanics, Upper Crust. The Wheelers and Dealers.

And no discussion of New England music is complete without:

20. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Inactive

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    Also, Boston (the band) is from Boston (the city).