New Envilope Filter - FOR BASS!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Tecx, Jan 25, 2005.

1. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    The SubDecay Money Shot!

The MONEY SHOT is a super controllable envelope filter. It features a tri-tone paint job, 5 knob for maximum "tweakablility" The Money Shot uses bipolar transistors with a negative feedback filter. It has a different sound than many other envelope filters which use opamps in the filter section. This gives the effect a more natural sound, and wont make your ears bleed at gigging volumes.

So what does it do?
    An envelope filter (sometimes called a dynamic wah or auto wah) does two basic things. First it senses the level of your signal (envelope) to create a control voltage. Second, it filters your guitar signal much like a wah does. The filter cut off is controlled by the envelope voltage.

Why is the Money Shot different?
    The Money Shot gives you lots of options and possible tones. The Money Shot has five knobs. Resonance, Sensitivity, High range, Low range, and Volume. Variable resonance allows you to go from subtle, to funky, to space alien territory. As the resonance gets higher the over all effect gets louder. The volume knob lets you adjust the overall level to match your rig. The high and low range knobs allow you to set the resting point and the peek point of the filter cut off frequency. The sensitivity knob allows you to use guitars with both hot and weak outputs. The sensitivity settings also can interact with the high range giving the filter some unique decay characteristics

I have been talking to Brian @ subdecay, and he is building a bass version of the money shot. We have been discussing what it needs and how it should sound. Its going to look exactly the same on the outside, but many components have to be changed to accommodate the bass frequencies. He is building a bass prototype in the next few, and will be sending it off to me for some full tests. Which I will record.

I will keep anyone posted that is interested, but believe me - Brian doesn't fool around, this is going to kick ass!!!

ps. HERE is a clip a bass going through the guitar version. I can't wait for the bass version.
    pps. I do not work for Brian, or Subdecay. I am just thrilled about this!
  2. mikeboth

mikeboth The last thing you'll ever see

Jun 14, 2002
    Tallinn, Estonia
    Operator: prophecysound systems
    So the Mutron III sounds 'unnatural'? :p

3. troll

Aug 31, 2000
    Chicago area
    Not a bad sounding filter, but horrible name.

4. +1

Yeah, at least it's not as bad as their other products, the Golden Shower Chorus and the Dirty Sanchez Distortion.

- Dave
  5. Ooh bad names for your products, but you remember them so...
  6. Tecx

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    Exactly... Who would forget a funk filter names "Money Shot"?.. Comon!!!

7. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    very greasy at the end there - you must keep us posted!
  8. I think the names are veiled references to sexual intercourse.

/Captain Obvious
  9. Tecx

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada

10. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    That's nothing, their next one is the Cleveland Steamer...

Anyway, looks good, sounds v interesting too. Where's mad subwoofer and bigfoot when you need them?
  11. Would that be a brown note modeler?

Wake me when they unveil the Donkey Punch or the Teabag.
  12. I would be VERY interested in hearing about the bass version as u get it and try it out. Things I would like to know is if it works well with active basses (with bass rolled up a good deal), and how well it works with overdrive.

Anyway, let me know how u like it.

13. Cool sound! Shoot me an e-mail when the bass version hits the market!
  14. Tecx

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    It should be ready soon, then on its way to the great white north - TO ME!.. ;) A full review will follow, as well as clips...

15. The first 3/4 of the cound clip didn't impress me much at all, but the last part sounded pretty good. I'm interested to hear how the bass version goes. I think the pedal could do with a bit of a face lift though. Without being too critical, the components all look like the same ones I use at home when I'm attempting to build pedals and the text/labels look pretty average. I know it won't affect how it sounds, but the way a pedal looks is important when it comes to attracting buyers.

Just my 2 cents tho :D

Oh, any idea about the price at this stage? Ballpark figures?
  16. Tecx

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    Brian is no amateur, he has been doing this a while... He may not be so well known in bass circles, but he is one of the premiere boutique pedal builders right now...

check out his website:

As for price, I am not sure yet... But his stuff is always affordable...

17. I'm sure he is! Don't get me wrong, I'm not doubting the quality of his work. I just think the pedal looks a bit bland IMO.
  18. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Err, isnt the first 1/2 the unaffected signal for comparison with the effected signal... lol!
  19. Tecx

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    I was hopeing he was being sarcastic... :meh:

Heya Joe Whatcha Know?..

20. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    I have to get one...just to place im a pedalboard next to a Big Muff Pi.