1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New EQ, pups, or take out EQ?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Gaetano Paul, May 10, 2010.

1. Gaetano Paul

Gaetano Paul

Nov 25, 2009
    Sarasota, FL
    Hello guys. I just got a nice used bass. It is a Raven, neck through, walnut and alder five string with active electronics, made in Korea. It has a Jazz pickup and a MusicMan pup in the bridge. :bassist:It has the onboard Eq, but this Eq seems weak and almost garbage. I am used of a stock Ibanez BTB active EQ in my BTB405Qm, which I did not think was anything too extravagant, though I love it. I can tell this EQ is junk, also when I switch to just the MM pup it is a little noisey, or when I turn the treble, bass or mids up. It seems to be kind of quite on just the Jazz pup with everything in the middle or 12 oclock position.

I got this bass for cheap, and I am willing to drop the $on a new EQ or Pups, whatever it takes, (possibly within reason:meh:) Is it most likely the terrible EQ being noisey, or the pups? Is there a way to tell the difference? From what I can tell, with all the EQ in mid way point I really like the sound of these pups. Very punchy and modern.;)

What kind of EQ should I get for this setup?

Can I just junk the Eq, put in new pots and run it passive? Is this an option, if so would it sound good?

Any input would be appreciated. It is the same bass that the company is putting out as Raven West, right down to same bridge and everything. Super sweet bass, maybe I should get the same EQ as in my BTB on here, would that work or would it need to be 2 humbuggies?

2. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    If the bass sounds good with the active eq controls flat, replacing the active preamp with a better one is good choice. If the bass doesnt sound good with active eq controls flat, then replaceing the pups would be my first choice.

3. Gaetano Paul

Gaetano Paul

Nov 25, 2009
    Sarasota, FL
    by flat do you mean at the 12 oclock position were it rest in that groove? Not up not down, just in the middle a zero? Silly question just looking to clarify.

4. badboy1984

badboy1984

Mar 27, 2007
    United Kingdom
    flat it means no boost or cut .............

5. Gaetano Paul

Gaetano Paul

Nov 25, 2009
    Sarasota, FL
    Any suggestions on a good active eq to drop in here? Is bypassing all electronics n option? If so how would I do that.

6. badboy1984

badboy1984

Mar 27, 2007
    United Kingdom
    preamp system is all matter of taste at the end of the day.

Personally I like John East preamp. I got John East pre installed on all my bass.