1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New era for DIY cab builders/cabs needing replacement speakers

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Stumbo, Mar 8, 2012.

1. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Song Surgeon slow downer. https://tinyurl.com/y5dcuqjg
    Over the past four years, I've read 1000's of posts on cab/speaker parameters and how to build a cab/speaker combination optimized to obtain better mid dispersion, maximize power/wattage and a wide/low frequency range. I've also read many other post on which speakers to use in replacing one or all in a cab.

With BFM, Duke LeJeune and greenboy posting in many of the threads I've read, they have provided information and guidance to everyone who follows their posts/threads. Comb filtering, vertical stacking Xmax and many other terms have become standard on TB. My hat's off to them and all the other cab/speaker pros who spend their time giving us the "good stuff".

What caught my interest recently was a recent DIY cab thread by JohnK_10. Based on his building experiences and testing he observed and concluded:
    And greenboy of fEARful cabs observed:
    Based on the above, my conclusion is that with today's speakers being able to handle more heat and move farther before breakup than ever before, by building a compromised cabinet and using less than the maximum power, it is more likely that the DIYer can achieve his/her tone/volume goals than there was in the past.

Or if you happen upon an empty 80's bass cab in good shape and you are replacing all the speakers, lining it, bracing it, optimizing the port size as much as possible for the cab and using a couple of "overkill" Eminence speakers, you'll run out of cab before you run out of speaker.

And, you'll probably have a great cab for rehearsal if you don't want to haul it or if you're on a budget, you'll end with a fine, giggable cab, especially if you're using an older head with 200 or 300 watts.

It seems that the old saying "if it sounds good, it is good" applies here.

Any thoughts?

BadExample likes this.
  2. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    With the advancements in drivers in the last 10 years, well, especially the last 5, we're able to do some pretty cool stuff. It seems a lot of the newer stuff doesn't have the big boom humps of the older Delta and Beta series that want big boxes. Now, there are more choices than run smoother, are friendlier towards smaller designs and still achieve higher output. Basically a little more "wiggle room" while maintaining a good result in a managable package. You still need to know what you're doing, still plenty of tradeoff's to be made, but the "ballpark" is a little nicer.

3. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    IMO, it's still pretty hard to beat the tone and output level of a center or side vented late 60's Sunn 2x15 cab loaded with two JBL K140's. of course it would be alot heavier than a 'modern' lightweight 2x15 cab with neo's (which will also handle more power), so there's always a trade off. you just have to determine what your design goals are and decide from there. personally, for a more 'old school' voiced cab, but using modern speakers, cab material with an excellent design, i think that greenboy's new 'dually' is the state of the art.

4. Lazarus.Bird

Lazarus.Bird Mr. Personality

Aug 16, 2010
    Pittsburgh
    Has anyone built a dually yet?

5. They are only available through authorized builders, so you might have to query them on where one might be.

6. Lazarus.Bird

Lazarus.Bird Mr. Personality

Aug 16, 2010
    Pittsburgh
    I've actually been talking to someone from Audiokinesis. I was just curious if anyone on the boards had one built and in their possession yet.

7. I don’t think so, and there really isn’t much info about it on TB - you’ll need to join the fEARful forum and may be you can find out more about it there - and good luck.