Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Ernie Ball Line Bongo and SUV

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sdguyman, Feb 7, 2003.

1. sdguyman

sdguyman

Jan 31, 2003
    San Diego
    Some of you were wondering if Ernie Ball had it on their website. Well Here is the bongo. According to Ernie Ball the cost will start close to or more than what the Stingray 5 is going for.
    BONGO
    http://www.ernieball.com/musicman/bongo/

Here is the new SUB. Looks like the pre Ernie Ball Stingray (The G&L Musicman). According to Ernie Ball this will start under $700 and will come with passive electronics or you can upgrade to active for more $

http://www.ernieball.com/musicman/sub/

Read the Ernie Ball Forum for more info. I will have to hear what it sounds like before I make up my mind. I am curious to see what the double humbuckler 5 sounds like.

Sorry if someone already posted the URLs

:eek:

2. icks

icks

Jul 12, 2001
    Charleroi, Belgium
    Sub look nice, Bongo is awful .......

3. Yes that Sub is very nice...black and white mmmm...the bongo aint too tasty though.

4. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    the Gumby Signature Bass!!! IT'S ABOUT TIME!!!!!:D

5. beefhaus2000

beefhaus2000

Sep 25, 2002
    New Jersey
    The Bongo will destroy all who oppose it!!!

6. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I actually like the Bongo. It certainly looks better than some other options out there...

7. beefhaus2000

beefhaus2000

Sep 25, 2002
    New Jersey
    I've said it before and I'll say it again: The Bongo doesn't look any "stupider" than a Rickenbacker...

8. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    welp looks like that sub is gonna go right in the arsenal. itll look nice sitting right next to my stingray 4. Itd be a nice way to mix it up with the passive electronics, cuz sumtimes the stingray electronics are just too intense.

9. banditcosmo

banditcosmo Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2002
    Charlottesville, Va.
    I think the Bongo body looks sorta like a toilet lid.
    Shorten the upper wing and you have a toilet lid.

10. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    yeah.. the bongo isn't the best body design i've seen.. but if it plays and sounds nice.. then maybe I'd condsider it

11. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    ok... color me lost... what is the deal with the SUB? off shore 'ray? regular ray with passives?? hmmm passive ray with my sadowsky pre amp....wow mornin wood! lol:eek:

12. sdguyman

sdguyman

Jan 31, 2003
    San Diego
    :rolleyes:

I was thinking the same thing. I would not be suprised if OLP makes these and ships them to EB with The Ernie Ball Musicman logo. I also hear that Japan makes a knockoff of the stingray and they use the Ernie Ball StingRay Logo on them.

HMMMMMM.........

13. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    JMHO the Bongo, not for me. The SUB, diamond plate pickguard? Is this supposed to attract the 4x4 bass buyer? Sorry, but I think EB missed with both of these. Why don't all basses that are active, have the passive option?

14. The SUB looks exactly like a modern Stingray except the pickups are passive. I can't see the difference...can you see the difference?

15. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Eeeeeeeewwwww! If I was going to purchase a Stingray/Sterling I would just save the extra bucks and buy a real one, used or new.

Bongo just butt ugly!:eek:

16. the SUBs interest me. i've always wondered how a passive stingray would sound.

17. My guess: very much like an MTD Kingston, but twice as expensive.

18. SUB, I don't like. It just seems to bland for me.

Bongo I'm a little hesitant about...but I'll probably warm up to it. I wonder how it'll sound...

19. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Good description. I still like them, particularly the orange one.

20. aleyman

aleyman Guest

Nov 1, 2002
    PA
    i asked this question before (got no responses). but has anyone tried a OLP sting ray type thing? i'd absolutely LOVE to get a sting ray, but can't afford it (give me a break, im only 14). the OLP is in my price range though, can anyone give me an honest opinion? don't compare it to high class ones either, i can't afford anything outside $300.