New ESP LTD D line. Style over substance? Or style and substance?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DEPbassist, Sep 2, 2020.

Tags:
  1. DEPbassist

DEPbassist

Sep 2, 2020
    ESP are replacing the old D4/5/6 line with a seemingly higher spec model. I think the Black burst and Poplar burl top look pretty nice but I'm not sure ESP Designed SB-5 humbuckers are what you'd expect from an instrument at this price point. Especially considering these are the same as what's used in some cheaper models like the B205.

What do you guys think? Worth the €969 price tag? xlarge_.png xlarge_.png

Last edited: Sep 2, 2020
    Yahboy and Qlanq like this.
  2. Qlanq

Qlanq

Jul 9, 2007
    Swansea
    Looks cool, pricey, but I'd like to play one.

3. DEPbassist

DEPbassist

Sep 2, 2020
    Same i might be making a new purchase soon and this one is tempting. Still though, at that price range there's a lot of options.

Qlanq likes this.
  4. Dincrest

Dincrest Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    I am curious about the redesigned D series as well. They certainly look uniquely cool (which is important since things have to look cool on camera for livestreams, Instagram, etc.) and seem to have better woods than before (mahogany body instead of merbau).

The D-4 is normally $750 but Sweetwater has a couple of demo D-4s for about $675.

ESP LTD D-4 Bass Guitar - Black Natural Burst Satin

ESP LTD D-4 Bass Guitar - Black Natural Burst Satin

Although this review video is in Dutch, the dude seems to like his D-6. Sadly his tone isn't great. It sounds like his strings are dead. A set of fresh stainless steel strings would really liven it up.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2020
  5. DEPbassist

DEPbassist

Sep 2, 2020

I actually bought one of these shortly after posting! I can try put together a demo for YouTube.

Dincrest likes this.
  6. ESP’s homebrew pickups usually sound pretty good

7. Dincrest

Dincrest Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    I've heard that as well about the ESP soapbars. They're reportedly ESP's riff on EMGs, right? Rumor has it that some folks with D-series and B-4E basses prefer ESP's house brand pickups to EMG-HZs.

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 13, 2021